Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get PE8 titles into PE11 (ie. topo_title)

May 7, 2013 10:28 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements11

I was previously using PE 8.  Under edit, titles, travel, I liked the "titles" world travel and topo.

I upgraded to PE 11 and do not see those particular titles in PE 11.

Is there a way to export them from PE 8, to PE 11 or download them from a web site?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Please give the following a try to achieve your goal.

1. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0

Presets

Templates

Common

Travel

and in the Travel Folder, you would find folders named Topo and World Travel. Copy those Folders and paste those Folders to the computer desktop.

2. Premiere Elements 11

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Presets

Templates

Common

in the Common Folder create a new folder named Amaisan Special Titles. In that Amaisan Special Titles Folder, place the Topo Folder and World Travel Folder that you have on the Desktop.

You should find those Titles under the Titles & Text Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 11 Expert view interface. They will be in a new catagory called Amaisan Special Titles. I did not put them in the Travel category. At this time, I did not attempt to get them into the Titles & Effects/Travel. That is another story for another time regarding the Online Folder in another hard drive location.

Make sure that the Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is active so that you can see the path cited above.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Sorry about those results. I have been spending the afternoon doing some detective work on this.

I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.01, 10, and 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. In each version there has always been the opportunity to save a title as a prtl file via File Menu/Export/Title for use in another project. I always found it possible to import one of these saved .prtl files into another project in the same or other version (Get Media/Files and Folders) without problems.

So, when I saw your results, I did this. Took going into the program files out of the equation.

(a) In Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, selected the world travel_list in Titles, imported it into the project, and then exported as a .prtl file to the computer desktop via File Menu/Export/Title.

(b) Systematically, I imported that file from there into Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11. All but version 11, showed the 8.0/8.0.1 title as wanted.

(c) In version 11, the title imports and behaves like a title template (it is editable) and responds to choices. But, the image is damaged as you have presented.

The properties of the file does not seem to give an obvious reason why? I have not done an exhaustive study, but the only difference that I have run into in properties for what are all supposed to be .prtl files is in pixel aspect ratio. The limited number of files that I have compared suggest that Premiere Elements 11 .prtl files are classed as stills and given a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0 whereas the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 .prtl are also classed as stills but yet given the pixel aspect ratio of 0.0901 which is typically the correction factor for NTSC DV Standard video. At this point, I am not sure if this means something or rather that I have not compared enough files.

Very puzzling. I will see if there is some history on this that I have missed.

Have you given thought to creating your own Title Templates in Premiere Elements 11 and exporting them as .prtl files for use in later projects as well as the current one in which they are being created?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

I am just starting my day. I think I have the answer which involved a by design rather than bug solution.

I am going to test out my theory and will report back.

At this moment, before executing the fix, the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 title templates

Beach Resort

Countryside

Cruiseline

Desert Road

Outdoor Adventure

Road Trip

Space Travel

all appear to be transferring fine into Premiere Elements 11 via route outlines previous. It is just the Topo and World Travel that look strange after the transfer. The answer is so obvious. Let me see if obvious translates into reality.

Pixel aspect ratio and frame size and bit depth have nothing to do with this at all.

Coming soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

I got it to work. Here is the story.

Unlike the other title templates in the Travel Folder that work, the topo and world travel choices require assets from TWO locations. And, the other key is that Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 do not appear to support .tga, the type used in version 8.0/8.0.1 for the backgrounds of topo and world travel title templates.

1. Where ALL the assets for the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 topo and world travel title templates can be found:

TEXT AND SUCH

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 8.0

Presets

and in the Presets Folder are the Template Folder and the Texture Folder.  The Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 .prtl files involved are in the Template Folder. The files used for the backgrounds of topo and world travel are found in the Texture Folder which is in the Common Folder and exist there as .tga files. So after Presets Folder in this path to the .tga files...

Presets Folder then...

Texture Folder

Common Folder

and in the Common Folder are the .tga files needed for topo and world travel title templates.

As a reminder to both of us, after Presets Folder the path to the .prtl files for topo and world travel is

Presets Folder then...

Templates Folder

Common Folder

Travel Folder

and in the Travel Folder are the Topo and World Travel Folders.

the involved .tga files include:

topo_bkgd.tga

topo_bkdg2.tga

topo_frame.tga

topo_lower3rd.tga

World Travel Frame_7.tga

World Travel Title Bkgd_7.tga

Besides what I described previously, in order to get those title templates (topo and world travel) intact in Premiere Elements 11 for use in its workspace:

(a) In the Presets Folder create a Texture Folder and place the .png versions of the .tga files in the Common Folder that you created in the Texture Folder (see below)

Remember Premiere Elements 11 does not have a Texture Folder that is why you are creating it and the Common Folder in it.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 11

Presets

At this point, in the Presets Folder, you create a Texture Folder and create in the Texture Folder a Common Folder. In that Common Folder go the all the .png version of the .tga (see above list).

I only placed two world travel files so far...it looks like this path-wise

PE11 .png backgrounds.JPG

How To Convert .tga to .png

I cannot convert .tga to .png in Photoshop Elements, but I can in Photoshop, CS2 at least. I went with .png since it seemed the most likely to work if it was going to work at all. The lesser of my choices was a .psd file. I need to go this route since simply renaming the file extension from .tga to .png did not work. And, I find that neither Photoshop Elements 11 nor Premiere Elements 11 support .tga.

Please give this a try. As I said, looks like a by design rather than a bug.

Thanks.

ATR

Post has been edited for clarification and correction purposes. These adjustments are reflected by the underlined text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Even though the following is not involved in what turned this into a can do rather than a can not do matter, I want to acknowledge and correct a typing error in my post #3 of this thread.

I incorrectly typed 0.09091 as the typical correction factor for NTSC DV Standard. That should read 0.9091 instead of 0.09091.

The post did not offer an Edit opportunity so that is why I am mentioning in this post.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

I will review all and get back to you.

This all worked for me, so let me see if I goofed in the write up or you are missing a step in what I have written or if I did not write the instructions clear enough. Hopefully before the end of the day we will get the wrinkles worked out of this.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Please review my clarified and corrected post #6. I think that I have caught all the typing errors. This does work as written for the .tga files as .png files.

I used Photoshop Elements CS2 for the conversion of .tga to .png but all the conversion were done before introducing these files into the directory structure. In Photoshop not Image Ready, I did a File Menu/Save As/PNG (*.PNG).

In my Premiere Elements 11 Windows, under the Titles and Text tab at the bottom of the interface looks like this for the world travel .png that I have processed so far.

world travel in PE11 Titles.JPG

I have not entered all the topo and world travel title templates assets into Premiere Elements 11 at this point.

Please recheck my instructions to make sure there are no more typing other errors. I double checked but... These are unchartered waters so I hope that there will be no surprises moving forward, just smooth working.

Thanks for asking for the clarification.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

None is fine for the png option.

I am hoping the following is the problem. In your last post you wrote:

I then copied these 5 .PNG files from PE11work to Program Files, Adobe, Premiere Elements 11, Presets, Texture.

You place the .png files in the Common Folder which is in the Texture Folder which is in the Presets Folder. It sounds like you may have left out the Common Folder here. Please double check that point. Please go back to post #6 and click on the screenshot showing the world travel .png files in the Common Folder. Look at the path at the top of the screenshot.

Local Disc C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Presets

Texture

Common

and in that Common Folder go the .png files for these two title templates.

Hoping that was what is holding back success.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

I found it almost impossible to run Premiere Elements 8.0 without installing the 8.0.1 Update. The tricky part about installing that 8.0.1 Update is that you will not see any 8.0.1 anywhere after the installation. You will need to depend on:

a. A successful update message that you get when the update is installed successfully.

b. The automatic Background Rendering option in preferences now found turned off

c. There one new file someone in the program files section

Did Help Menu/Updates have any updates to be installed.

You could try to install the 8.0.1 Update and see if you get a message such as already installed.

]http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

With regard to these Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 title templates topo and world travel, I have only done the two world travel files cited. I will try some of the topo ones to see if that succeeds for me.

More later.

Just had an idea. When you made copy of your original .tga files was there the word "copy" inserted automatically in the file name? If so, remove it and make sure the file name is the same for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 11 except for the file extension...tga vs .png. That might be it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaissn

Interesting experience with the topo .png files just now that might be a tip how to get those into Premiere Elements 11 that are "resisting".

I got all the topo .png to appear nicely within Premiere Elements 11 Titles & Text EXCEPT topo_frame.png. I tried everything, retracing my steps.

What I did to get it to finally appear was this.

Close out of Premiere Elements 11.

Go the location of the topo_frame.png in its Premiere Elements 11 save location and then clear the whole file name and retype topo_frame.png.

When I reopened Premiere Elements 11, there was the top_frame.png displaying as wanted.

If nothing else is working, please give that a try.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 7:34 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Please make sure  that you actually type and see the whole file name of the topo and world travel title template including the file extension .png. Do not take it for granted. Make sure that you are no hidding any file extension by way of a Folders Options check mark.

Again, you want the whole file name:

It should look exactly like this:

PE11.JPG

and when you open Premiere Elements 11 Windows, you should be seeing the following, only with the folder having your name instead of ATR Specials:

PE11 Titles & Text.JPG

Right now I hoping that the taken for granted file extension was the detour. By the way, did I mention that I tried for a .tga to .psd change and that did not work for this.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to amaisan

[Reply 19 has been Deleted at the instruction of ATR. Please see Reply #27 for the revised content from this Reply.]

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt at direction of ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

In the Presets Folder/Templates Folder...., all the involved .prtl files here are shown with File as PRTL File (Properties for each show Read Only).

This goes for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

You may have said already, but please remind me what computer operating system you are using to run Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Premiere Elements 11. Are Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Premiere Elements 11 on this same computer when you are going between versions with these files?

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Hope all is going well.

You wrote:

The only thing left is the Topo and World Travel folders with the templates (contents).

That was all deleted when I deleted Amaisan Special Titles in step 2.

Do you want me to re-copy them from PE8?

Where should I put them (in PE11)?

Please refer to post #19 where all those details are directed at PE11. Right now, forget about PE8.0/8.0.1, we have PE8.0/8.0.1 contributions already represented by those .png files on the desktop as per post #19. At this time, I see no need to go back to PE8.0/8.0.1 to start from the beginning to get the .tga files that are converted to .png. We will reconsider all, if, after going through the details of post #19, those topo and world travel title template decide to continue resisting.

Glad we are both working on Windows 7 SP1 64bit, should take some of the variable out of the equation. Is that Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit?

Looking forward to good news.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to amaisan

Amaisan

Recap Time

Please stop until I get the plan regrouped. And, the plan re-presented and confirmed on both sides.

The whole idea was to isolate .prtl and .png files for safe keeping, putting the .prtl and .png files on the computer desktop for temporary storage AND where possible to replace the folders involved with new folders with new names where applicable (a refreshing process of sorts). That was the plan. I got the idea when I found that retyping the file name of world travel_frame title template got that title template to work.

So in Premiere Elements 11

Program Files Folder

Adobe Folder

Premiere Elements 11 Folder

Presets Folder Folder - for the plan to work, we need a Templates Folder and a Texture Folder in the Presets Folder. There is no Texture Folder there in Premiere Elements 11 so we needed to create one and create a Common Folder to go in this Texture Folder.

The structure for inside the Template Folder is:

Common Folder

Amaison Special Titles Folder

Topo and World Travel Folders inside the Amaison Special Titles Folder

and in each of the Topo and World Travel Folders are the .prtl files.

The structure for inside the Texture Folder is:

Common Folder

and inside the Common Folder are the .png files for Topo and World Travel.

First order of business was to get the .prtl and .png from their present folder locations and to preserve existing .prtl files and .png files on the computer desktop, so they were to be put on the desktop for retyping of the complete file name of each.

Template

The present Amaison Special Titles Folder was to be removed and recreated in its location, using a different folder name such as "More Title Templates".

Other Folders could just be "refreshed" by deletion of the empty folders and replacement with a newly made folder with the same name as before by just retyped.

Texture

The "refreshed" idea was also to be applied to Texture Folder and its Common Folder. No name changed, just retyped present name.

When all that was done, then the .prtl and .png files (with their retyped file names) were to be transferred from the desktop to their designated locations in the Templates and Texture Folders structures respectively.

In view of my recap, please have it replace anything written in post #19 with the content of this current post. I think that approach is less likely to be prone to errors. I asked about your computer operating system to see if there was a reason for any difference in file type nomenclature that we are seeing in comparing results. If I have the opportunity to re-enter post #19, I will clarify and correct or delete where applicable. If not, I will not the discrepancies in another post after we have worked this issue to a successful conclusion.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to amaisan

Amaisan

The following is a rewritten version of post #19. This rewritten #19 plus post #26 should be in agreement with the plan.

Based on my experience with retyping the whole name of one of those world travel .png files to get it to appear correctly, let us try a more drastic measure. Keep in mind that at this point we are dealing with the Premiere Elements 11 side of things.

In that screenshot of yours in a recent post, I want to see .prtl file extension displaying for those .prtl files in the topo Folder in the route:

...Presets Folder/Templates Folder/Common Folder/Amaisan Special Titles Folder/topo Folder with its .prtl files.

...Same comment for ...Presets Folder/Templates Folder/Common Folder/Amaisan Special Titles Folder/world travel Folder with it .prtl files.

Screenshot in original #19 showing all of my .file names with .prtl file extension is omitted in this re-write.

If the above step does not get things working, then let us explore the following based on my encounter with the world travel _frame .png which went from not working to working when all I did was retype the whole file name. But your present situation calls for something more drastic. So let us try the following:

1, Referring to the path...

Presets Folder/Texture Folder/Common Folder with its .png files (for topo and world travel), move all the .png files there to the computer desktop. Just the files. No Folders.

2. On the .png side of things, delete the Texture Folder and its Common Folder from the Presets Folder.

(Since in Step 1 you moved all the .png files to the desktop for safe keeping, these should be empty Folders that you are deleting in this Step 2.

3. Referring to the path...

Presets Folder/Templates Folder/Common Folder/Amaisan Special Titles Folder/topo and world travel Folders with their .prtl files, move all the .prtl files there to the computer desktop. Just the files. No Folders.

4. On the .prtl side of things, delete the Amaisan Special Titles Folder and its topo Folder and its world travel Folder  in the path cited in Step 3.

(Since in Step 3 you moved all the .prtl files to the desktop for safe keeping, these should be empty Folders that you are deleting in this Step 4.

ACTIONS

1. Retype the file names of all the .png and .prtl files on the desktop, making sure to include the file extension.

2. Where the original "Amaisan Special Titles Folder" was, create a new Folder named something like "More Title Templates". And in that "More Title Templates" Folder, create a topo Folder and a world travel Folder. Move accordingly the .prtl files from the desktop into these newly created topo Folder and world travel Folder.

3. In the Presets Folder, create a new Texture Folder and in it a new Common Folder. Move the .png files for both topo and world travel into that Common Folder.

4. Restart the computer.

I regret the confusion that may have occurred here.

Hoping for the good news of your success. Everything here in this regard is working.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..Again please review and double check. Please ask before continuing if you have any questions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Your last post was distressing in its outcome, but I am not about to give up. It works. We just have to get it to work for more than just me.

I do not have anyone that I could ask to try this. Anyone reading this thread who has Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 11 installed on a Windows computer might be asked via this thread to try this.

BUT, I have Windows 8 64 bit on a Lenovo laptop which already has Premiere Elements 11 and 10 installed on it.

What do you think of the idea of me installing Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 8 64 bit and trying to repeat the success that I achieved with those programs installed on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 (with content) is now installed on Windows 8 64 bit. Later tonight, if detours do not block my path, we will give this task a try in its new computer environment.

This should be interesting. Wasn't it the case that your .prtl files were shown with Type = Adobe Premiere Title and mine were Type = PRTL? I have to go back and check on that. But, guess what? In Windows 8, the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 .prtl have Type = Adobe Premiere Title. Now let us see if that means anything.

Coming soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Just starting my day. I did not get to the Windows 8 64 bit test yet. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is now installed along with Premiere Elements 10 and 11 on the laptop. I am hoping to get to that sometime today.

Looking forward to the results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Good news or Bad news depending on the perspective.

I could NOT get the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Title Templates named topo and world travel to work in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit....try as I did.

The adventure continues however.

Keep in mind that I have been troubled by the difference in File Type for the .prtl file between us...me with .PRTL (where this task works great) and you with Adobe Premiere Title (where task does not work). When I went through the drill in Windows 8 64 bit, the .prtl File Type was displayed a Adobe Premiere Title not PRTL. Can I make a correlation between .PRTL associated with "its works" with Adobe Premiere Title associated with "it does not work"????

Then I got the bright idea of importing a world travel .png and its corresponding .prtl file into Premiere Elements 11 with Add Media/Project Assets and dragging the .prtl to Video 2 and the .png to Video 1 and contemplating an export (File Menu/Export/Title was out since the exported title needs to created in the Titler as far as I have ever seen). But, what I did get out of this was that the .png displays here well; it is the .prtl that brings that garbage into the picture...taking my thoughts back to .PRTL vs Adobe Premiere Title File Type.

Another bright idea went nowhere. It involved opening the Titler, using Text Menu/Add Image to add .png and corresponding .prtl file to the opened then black empty title in the Titler. The .png looked great. But, nothing displayed for is corresponding .prtl file (hidden or not).

Now I am envisioning something on Windows 7 64 bit, but not Windows 8 64 bit, that is enhancing the task to work there. So, here is my question for you to advance that idea or blow it away...on what computer was the Photoshop CS2 that you used to convert the .tga files to .png...the same computer as Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Premiere Elements 11 and all the .tga to .png files and .prtl files or another?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

Well, your post #35 just blew away one theory as to cause of the "works" versus "does not work".

Do you have any other Adobe products on your computer?

I am heading back to Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit to see if I can determine what in it makes the task work for me there and not on my Windows 8 64 bit and for you.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 8:33 PM   in reply to amaisan

amaisan

The tests go on.

The topo and world travel title templates were included for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and earlier. They are gone in Premiere Elements 10 and 11. Premiere Elements 10 was the first version to offer 64 bit application if run on Windows 7 64 bit. Version 10 is also a 64 bit application when run on Windows 8 64 bit. In the case of Premiere Elements 11, it is 64 bit application when run on Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit, or Mac 64 bit.

As for downloaded species, I need to think about that. The system comes with one or two completed content items and also with incomplete folders which will automatically receive the download with content to complete the folders to make a item available and/or functional after you download from within the program. In the case of the DVD Template, after download you can see the important .psd file plus that has been added to a particular folder. What for a Title Template?

I am attracted to this PRTL versus Adobe Premiere Title angle. It is getting late here so I think that I will think about this some more in the light of day. Every so often I take a look at those beautiful topo and world travel Title Templates available in my Windows 7 64 bit Premiere Elements 11 Titles & Text and look at them in awe.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points