Skip navigation
thisisdrivingmemad
Currently Being Moderated

apdivs - will not draw into existing files

May 8, 2013 2:51 AM

Tags: #apdivs

Hi - I am having problems inserting a new APdiv into an existing file.  I have created several basic styled files (with spry menus/headers etc) so that I can open/save w new name and put in new content for a new page.  All going well but suddenly a newly-saved file will not allow access for APdivs (little 'no access' sign - no drawing crosshairs).  I have created a template on a separate file - is this cross-contaminating all files behind the scenes??  I cannot disable template on these new problem files as there is no template created on these particular. - thanks for any advice you can give

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to thisisdrivingmemad

Hi, and welcome -

First a "word to the wise".

You will regret using AP divs for layout purposes.

Read here for the reasons why

http://www.apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

As to your question, please post the code for the problem page so we can assist.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:43 AM   in reply to Ken Binney

Thank you Ken - it's kind of you to send me the link and I will investigate with a heavy heart

sorry I thought I had posted the question in the right place - will try harder and repost in the problem page if I can find it.

best regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to Julie Ashford

You're welcome m'lady -

This is the correct Forum to post your page code

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to Julie Ashford

Also, it would be very helpful for you to give us a link to the website and web page in question on a server. That way you're not posting 200 lines of code here and we can look and see how your entire website is working, look for anything missing and look for a better way to do things.

If you are just beginning to make websites, it is strongly advised that you do not use AP divs. One of the big problems with Dreamweaver is that it may encourage the use of them and, when you're just starting out they will almost invariably cause unexpected problems.

Dreamweaver comes with well-designed web pages built into it, with lots of comments in the style sheet. From your Dreamweaver menu, choose File>New, choose Blank Page, HTML and look through the various styles that are there. Choose one and you'll create two things: A web page in HTML and a separate style sheet (CSS). The HTML page will have a link to the style sheet, so when a browser looks at the HTML page, the style sheet will set up the styles for the page.

These are bare-bones pages, but they'll teach you a lot about how things are supposed to come together when you make a web page. And, you'll notice that none of them include AP Divs.

If you are trying to put something somewhere on a page, you can use floats to place something to the left or right of text.

Try adding the following code to your style sheet:

.floatLeft {

float: left;

margin-right: 8px;

}

.floatRight {

float: right;

margin-left: 8px;

}

Now, if you have an image that you want to put to the right or left of some text, don't create an AP div to do it. Insert the image file, then assign the floatRight or floatLeft class to it and text will flow around it with a little margin that keeps the text from bumping into it.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to thisisdrivingmemad

I have created a template on a separate file - is this cross-contaminating all files behind the scenes??  I cannot disable template on these new problem files as there is no template created on these particular. - thanks for any advice you can give

This could very well be causing problems.  Nesting templates inside other templates or using multiple templates in a site will cause you much grief and confusion.

Open a problem page.  Go to Modify > Templates > Detach from Template. 

To create a new child page, go to File > New page from Template.  Choose the Template.dwt & hit Create button.  SaveAs new filename.html

I 2nd the advice on not using APDivs.  They're pure poison used in primary layouts.  Often there are much better ways to achieve your goals without resorting to positioned elements.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thank you Nancy - that's very constructive advice - they are still not behaving but I am coming around to a new approach to the problem.  Having come from a print /indesign background it's very tempting to use these things thinking they will behave just like I want them to - I am finding to my cost that things aren't what they seem to be.  Thank you for your time and lesson learnt by me.  I will find a 'work around' without the nested templates too just in case I feel the urge for just one APDIv in the future.

Best regards

Julie

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to mhollis55

Hi Mark

Thank you for the advice, the code and especially for your time.  I've done quite a few floats on the pages and they are working fine (probably beginners luck).  At the moment I just need to stick a .png in a particular place but I'm going to split a full width div into two so I have an edge to float to I think.  We will see.  I will have a look to see what I can learn from the code in the pre-designed web pages but it goes against my control freakishness a bit - something I may have to overcome.  Many thanks again.

Julie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points