Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Increasing brush-size crashes Win 8 - when HDMI cable is connected - Why?

May 8, 2013 4:26 AM

Photoshop Elements. Increasing brush-size crashes Windows 8 when HDMI cable connected to TV or data projector.  I'm using Asus N56V notebook with Nvidia 635M dedicated graphics card with latest driver.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Clive  (UK)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to crhfoto

Hi crhfoto,

What happens if you increase the brush size without connecting the HDMI cable?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to crhfoto

Hi,

I have just tried it on my system - laptop, windows 8 64bit, PSE 11 connected to a TV via the HDMI port and I got a funny but the system didn't crash.

I can't think that PSE knows whether you are connected via HDMI or are using the built in monitor and so I tend to feel the problem is probably in the graphics card/driver or perhaps windows 8.

The funny that I saw was the cursor kept changing from the brush circle to my normal arrow.

When you connect to the HDMI, what mode do you use? I have the option of laptop screen & TV, TV only, Laptop screen only or extended laptop to TV.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to crhfoto

Hi Clive,

I'm glad you are in the UK also, that means we can both sleep on it.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to crhfoto

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the update - life is never easy is it.

My Laptop is a Dell with an Intel graphics chip and apart form the funny cursor pointer it works in all modes.

I hope you find the answer.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to crhfoto

Clive,

I have an ASUS "Republic of Gamers" laptop that is about 6 months old.  It has an HDMI port, Nvidia graphics and Windows 7.

Is there someting you would like me to try?  I'm on the USA west coast, so time zones my delay any feedback. 

Bill

PS:  I'm not a "gamer".  I bought it because it had the specs for video editing.  It even has a Blu-Ray burner!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to whsprague

I just hooked up to my 55 inch Sony TV via HDMI.  I tried three bruch tools and changed brush size up and down with the slider and bracket keys.  Everything is still running fine. 

Set up was automatic when I plugged in the HDMI.  I get exact duplicate screens.  My ASUS ROG has a 1920 by 1080 screen and I think the TV does too.  The card is a G670 and the driver is 314.22.  The nVidia graphics utility actually lists the display as a Sony TV.

I see three differences.  I have a different nVidia card, I have Win 7 and I have a different TV.  There may be more, but it has not crashed (yet).

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to crhfoto

crhfoto wrote:

However, the other really odd thing remaions that no matter how the settingsare altered to instruct the computer to only use the Nvidia card and driver, (including changing/reducing notebook-screen resolution) the electronics of the Asus automatically revert to the basic Windows or Intel driver when the HDMI is connected to the external screen.  Have you checked this characteristic on yours?

My computer came with "nVidia Control Panel" software.  It sets up and controls multiple display, will check for driver updates, etc.  It reports the TV as a "Sony TV" for the second display.  So, I don't think it is reverting to Intel or Windows drivers. 

ASUS has been using Windows 8 long enough that they may offer a nVidia driver update with a fix for your issue.  The other choice is nVidia.  A few weeks ago I updated my nVidia driver there. There was a button on the nVidia support website that checked my computer for which graphics card I had and what driver version was installed.  It then offered me a new and correct one.  It downloaded and installed very easily. 

Perhaps nVidia has identified a quirk when operating multiple displays on Win 8 and fixed it with a driver update.  My understanding is that computer manufacturers may be slow with offering graphics card driver updates where nVidia makes updates routinely.  

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points