Skip navigation
Greg Jackson
Currently Being Moderated

Save to Last Directory

May 8, 2013 5:43 AM

I recently upgraded to Illustrator CS6. In CS5, I had it set so that when saving or printing to a file, it would go to the directory I was last in. Now, it always defaults back to the base directory on the hard drive. I have not been able to find any preference option that would give Illustrator the previous behaviour. How can I change that?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to Greg Jackson

Might actually be a file permissions/ user privileges issue rather than a thing in AI itself.... Adobe apps only revert to the default document folders, if the otehr folders/ files are unavailable or inaccessible, at least in the programs' thinking...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Greg Jackson

If you're on a Mac, you might want to look into DefaultFolderX. It solves this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Greg Jackson

Not disagreeing with you. Apple needs to address the issue... but it's a Mac issue, not an Adobe issue. Each version of the Mac OS seems to cause file handling like this to change. Applications generally don't alter what the OS wants to do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Greg Jackson

Back in CS3 Adobe had their own "open/save" dialog windows you could use. Those slowly got removed. Adobe wrote in code (or left in the code) for AI-CS4 and CS5 to work around the issue. They shouldn't have to do that. My guess would be since AI CS6 was rewritten, not simply upgraded, they didn't include that bit of code to correct the issue on the Mac.

To be honest, I've been using Default Folder for 10+ years and nothing has ever changed in any version of Adobe apps.. even the horrid CS3 apps where EVERYONE was complaining about this. If open/save directory locations are important to you, I can't repeat DefaultFolder enough. Yes, it's $35. But there's a tiral you can use before paying. I paid once and have been using it for at least 10 years... so that's $3.50 per year to never have to deal with this headache again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points