Skip navigation
Samtotalprint123
Currently Being Moderated

COPY & PASTE KEEPS STOPPING WORKING PLEASE HELP :-(

May 8, 2013 8:43 AM

I am trying to copy either a pdf or vector image from one illustrator file to another. It will cut pb wont paste. i shut down illustrator and open it up again some times it will then start to work again but sometimes wont. Any ideas !?

Sam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Samtotalprint123

AI version?

Does it give you an error message or just refuse to paste?

Do you have "Paste Remembers Layers" on or off?

Are you pasting in place or simply pasting in middle of artboard?

Are you using key commands or working from menu?

Are these very large files?

Sorry, I  don't have an answer, just looking for a little more background to try to troubleshoot your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to rcraighead

And do you have any other thrid party clipboard software installed? If so, have you tried disabling that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to Samtotalprint123

Sorry for jumping in the discussion, but i had a VERY similar problem with AI yesterday evening, the difference is that it involves text.

Mac OSX 10.8 and AI CS6 Creative Cloud fully updated. Two *.ai files opened, the first coming from a pdf conversion (ai to pdf then ai again) but both of them CS6 version.

What i was trying to do: copying text from a text box in file #2 to a text box in file #1. I said the TEXT, not the entire text box.

What happened: it pasted PARTIAL text. Like cut in half. And by no mean i was able to add the rest of the text. And then AI crashed.

• Attempt #1: use an intermediate text editor to remove any "tainted" formatting from such text -> Copy from file #2, paste into text editor (Mac TextEdit) and then paste into file #1. Result: SAME. Ai then crashed.
    • Attempt #2: paste the text plainly on the artboard (so not in the text box: like you select text tool and click on the stage without drawing a box) -> Entire text pasted successfully.
    • Attempt #3: Make the textbox in ID and then paste it into AI -> Entire text pasted successfully BUT SOME OF IT WAS CONVERTED TO CURVES.

Additional infos:

When trying to paste the entire text box directly, IT DIDN'T, meaning it didn't work with hotkeys/menu commands. Like you didn't copy anything to paste.

Files were extremely light.

I was just pasting in middle of the artboard.

I don't know where to check for the "Paste remembers layers" option. I didn't find it in the AI preferences.

I don't have any additional third party clipboard software installed.

I had to go through ID because i needed that text box to be split in 2 columns and since AI refused to paste the entire text.

I pretty much believe there is something working badly with the copy and paste process. AI has been really unstable lately i have to admit, but i'm sure Adobe won't leave us naked

Best regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to SimeoneSergio

"I don't know where to check for the "Paste remembers layers" option. I didn't find it in the AI preferences."

This is found in the layers flyout menu. When clicked, any clipboard items is pasted to the same layer from which it was cut. If it's a new document, new layers are automatically created.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Samtotalprint123

Sorry, I'm not a PC user. On Mac I would create a new user and try Illustrator under the new user. That can sometimes help isolate the problem. Maybe that is applicable to PC as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points