Skip navigation
PremiereWoe
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 - Pixelation Artifacts in exported H.264 1080p

May 8, 2013 3:07 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #artifacts #pixel #cs6

I'm dealing with a particularly irritating issue effecting several video projects that are now due for delivery. (Adobe Premiere Pro CS6) 

Video Pixelation Problem - Premiere Pro CS6.jpg

Other screen shots & system specs can be viewed from this Box.com folder:

After exporting sequences into H.264 / 1080p / 29.97 fps, I am having spots of pixelation occur in the middle region of the screen when playing from windows media player. These pixel artifacts are still visible after uploading to YouTube.

These are some of the things I've tried to help resolve the issue, but to no avail:

1. Increased virtual memory to 64 GB

2. Project and source files reside on hard drive - Exports out of computer into Seagate external hard drive USB 3.0 @ 7200 RPM (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IA8450)

3. Premiere Pro project Work Area is rendered before export

4. Tried rendering through both PPro & Encoder, but got same pixelation artifacts

The only other strange things I've noticed occur upon loading sequences with source files...

Just to backtrack, I shoot with a total of 4 Canon Vixia HFM30 compact camcorders in 1080p HD / Frame Rate of PF24 which I believe to be 24fps / MXP recording mode - highest quality. Now, these files link up fine with the asset bins on the left hand side of a project. First strange thing I notice right away is that the system labels the file at 29.97 fps, and not the original 24fps I selected on the camera. Second strange thing is that as soon as I drag the first video file onto the sequence timeline, I get warning dialog box which states that there is some sort of mismatch - "THIS CLIP DOES NOT MATCH THE SEQUENCE'S SETTING. CHANGE SEQUENCE TO MATCH THE CLIP'S SETTINGS.

So I always click "Change sequence settings" and move on from there. I'm wondering if these factors have anything to do with why I'm experiencing pixelation artifacts in my exported video.

Immediate assistance would be appreciated,

Gene Guerrero

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to PremiereWoe

3. Premiere Pro project Work Area is rendered before export

Does the render have the artifacts?  Have you used the preview files for the export?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to PremiereWoe

OK.

Have you checked the original clips outside of PP?  Any issues?  (I recommend using VLC for this, as WMP is probably one of the worst players out there.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to PremiereWoe

Do you have any remedies for this jitter in between video files?

If it was originally shot as one long clip but created separate files (spanned media), then yes.  But you may not like it.

Delete the media from your project and reimport it using the Media Browser, which will combine those individual files into one clip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to PremiereWoe

The first thing I would be looking at is the encode settings. Can you post a screen grab from AME showing export settings? I think what you are seeing is "mosquito noise" or "ringing" around the subjects. I would consider that a compression artifact. Also appears around your text and arrows, so can't blame the camera, is due to export compression. Are you using the H.264 YouTube preset for export?

About the Sequence Settings - I looked up Canon's PF24 mode, and this is putting a 24p recording inside a 60i stream, so you would choose a 1080i 29.97 preset (1080i 60), and not 1080p24 for this format, as far as I can tell.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

SAFEHARBOR11 wrote:

The first thing I would be looking at is the encode settings. Can you post a screen grab from AME showing export settings?

He did... check the first link in his initial post.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Sorry, just saw the screen shot and missed the small link below.

So anyway, I see that the export is "Custom". I've had very good results using the YouTube 720p preset, have you tried that?

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to PremiereWoe

Does the fact that I'm shooting in ACVHD have any bearing on why this is not working?

Possibly.  You need the entire top level PRIVATE folder for this to work, with all the files and folders inside that untouched, not just the individual MTS files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to PremiereWoe

AVCHD works in most cases if the original folder structure is intact. CS6 has had issues with specific brands of of AVCHD cameras.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Yes, but not this issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers