Skip navigation
sunflowersrbeautiful
Currently Being Moderated

Drop Shadows in Photshop Elements 10

May 8, 2013 3:35 PM

I have been very interested in working with drop shadows in Photoshop Elements 10.  I am wanting to be able to do a drop shadow with my photos WITHOUT any type of frame behind it.  (no faint outline of a frame or anything) Just a simple drop shadow.  (like you have in picmonkey photo editor and ipiccy)  I have been checking out a lot of tutuorials on photoshop elements on the drop shadows, but cannot find any tutorials showing how to do drop shadows without a frame behind it.  If anyone could help me or give me some advice on how to do this, it would sure be appreciated! 

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to sunflowersrbeautiful

This needs to be done manually. Try this:

1. Open file
    2. Duplicate background layer, shut off visibilityof background layer, work on background copy layer
    3. Select object for drop shadow,  using one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush or lasso tool
    4. Place object on its own layer (CTRL+J) ---Layer 1
    5. Open a blank layer at the top ---Layer 2
    6. Press CTRL+Left click the layer thumbnail of layer 1
    7. Make Layer 2 active again and fill the selection with black (Edit>fill selection>black)
    8. Drag Layer 2 below Layer 1
    9. Get the move tool out of the toolbox and with the keyboard arrow keys move the black filled selection to the right and down
    10. Reduce  opacity of layer 2

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1euhMzzDXUKC7jzl0W3QIpHH5SMn

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to sunflowersrbeautiful

You can do it to the whole photo as well.

Go to Select menu>all (CTRL+A)

Open a blank layer at the top

Go to Edit menu>Stroke(Outline)selection.  Enter width of stroke in px, color, position: inside. OK it

Go to Layer menu>Layer style>style settings. Use this dialog  for bevel, glow, drop shadow, etc. controls

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points