Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

most efficient way to browse MTS files

May 8, 2013 4:06 PM

I have been using mts for about 2 years now.

when i get my sd car out of my cameras i usually dump and then browse in Premier.

However this is getting quite old and it takes a hell of a long time to go thru 5-10 sd cards this way.

Is there an app that i can use to view the mts files like its a qt movie?

with .mov i can just plug the card into my sd reader and browse within finder. dont have to import or open an nle.

I know that .mov is native in osx but is there a way of getting some plug that would allow my mac to treat the mts the same?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

I use Bridge for this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

I think you need CS6 for it to work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

I use VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Free, works on Mac/Windows, opens parts of spanned clips, will open anything (even horribly corrupted files!).  I don't advocate using it to convert (though some people do) but it's great to look at things fast

Allynn

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

Did you update the Bridge.

In the Bridge MTS has been supported for quite some time now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

name them right in bridge

That may not be a good idea.  Ideally, you should leave everything in the PRIVATE folder intact and unaltered.  Changing anything can sometimes interfere with PP's handling of that media.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

Like I said, there are times when changing something can cause PP you not work with the media as designed.  Spanned clips, as one example.

It is a pain to have multiple 0001.mts files, but that's the reality we all deal with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

It depends on the camera more than anything.  If you get a bunch of MOV clips in the same folder, with no other files or folders, you're probably safe.  But if there are other files and folders, then you may well run into issues if you change anything.

The one issue MOV clips have is that QuickTime is still a 32 bit process, compared to PP's 64 bit code.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 10:29 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

I just tested the AVCHD mode on the GH3 tonight and ran into no issues at all. Renaming is not a problem, and you don't have to copy over the entire file.

So, for GH3 owners, all is right with the world.

As for using the .mov format instead of the mp4 format or mts format, there does not seem to be any speed or agility issues in Premiere Pro CS6. Works fine, 32 bit or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I just tested the AVCHD mode on the GH3

Spanned media?  PP still saw the files as one clip even after the changes?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:00 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

No. Separate files.

I don't really know how or why a camera would "span". Mine doesn't appear to do so, and I will pull out of the conversation. I just wanted to make sure I understood it.

I don't imagine the GH3 is any different than your GH2 in that respect.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

No. Separate files.

See, that's a problem.  With spanned files kept intact in their folders, PP sees and treats them as one clip, as it should.

The reasons clips span is because camera makers are behind the times.  They force us to use the outdated FAT32 file system on the cards, which can only create files up to 4GB in size.  Some cameras will simply stop recording when you hit that 4GB limit, like the much lauded 5D MkII.  Other cameras will create a new file to continue the recording, and add the necessary metadata for NLEs to 'stitch' the files back together, seeing them properly as one long clip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

1 card with 3 jobs

1 card with 2 jobs

Dude, you're making life difficult.  One job per card.  Empty it and reformat it in camera before starting a new job.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

What Jim said.  SD cards (even high speed ones) are cheap!  I have class 10 cards in 8, 16 and 32 gig sizes and I use the size that best fits the project.  I wouldn't dream of having more than one job on a card!  Too hard to find things.

My workflow is:

One job per card.

Archive the complete card structure (appropriately named) first.

Back this up on a separate drive (or NAS)

*Then* reformat the card in the camera

Only after all of that is done, do I start editing.

SD cards are your ONLY archive.  Hard drive space is cheap.  Re-shooting (if it's even possible) is expensive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

Buy more cards.  Number them (you can write on them with a Sharpie).  As you use them, keep them in named envelopes in the camera case. We use those little brown envelopes for office keys and treat them like inter-office envelopes. We write the number of the card and the name of the shoot next to it (also "card 2 of 3" if it's a multicam).  Once the card is dumped and copied we put the cards in a **totally different looking envelope** that clearly says "SD cards to be erased" and cross the name off the envelope.

I work with students and they sometimes do three or four, multicam shoots over the weekend.  When I come in on Monday morning I'm greeted with a "to be downloaded" box with all the envelopes in it waiting to be archived. 

I would never in a million years re-name any .mts files (or any digital video files, for that matter).  I know a lot of people don't follow this rule but I drill it into my students.  It's one less thing to worry about.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

I have not used it for video yet, but it is partially why I bought a relatively inexpensive travel laptop. I bought it just the right size to fit into my new camera bag. It has a card reader. As far as I can tell, using two cards, I can transfer from the card to the laptop at about the same speed as I fill up the second card. Then, with a third card I can guarantee less stress to get it backed up in a hurry.

I purchased fast 64G cards for US$50 each at Fry's while I was waiting for my new camera to arrive.

Then, when the shooting is done, the laptop backs up to an external drive and I now have two copies of my videos. One to transfer to the big editing PC and one just because I am paranoid. Remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not really out to get you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points