Skip navigation
Valkyrie Anne
Currently Being Moderated

Moving part of a catalog to network drive.

May 8, 2013 7:16 PM

Tags: #network_drive #removable_drive #larg_catalog

I need some good advice for a catalog of 13k+ photos that I'm trying to clean up. I'm using Elements 7, I have purchased Elements 11, and am planning to install it soon. Part of my photos are physically located on my hard drive, and part are on a network drive mapped as J:.  Elements finds these photos on J: but I don't think that the Elements Catalog is aware that J: is a network drive/removable drive. It looks for them every time I open Elements, making the program very slow to start up. Should I use the "move to removable drive" to move these photos? How will Elements treat these photos that have been sent to a removable disk? Will I still be able to see thumbnails of the photos and search through my tags for them? If I copy my photos to a new drive, but still call that drive J: will Elements be able to find them? And finally, if I perform this "move to removable disk" task, should I do it now with Elements 7 or update to Elements 11 first? Please help. Joanne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to Valkyrie Anne

Valkyrie Anne wrote:

Part of my photos are physically located on my hard drive, and part are on a network drive mapped as J:.  Elements finds these photos on J: but I don't think that the Elements Catalog is aware that J: is a network drive/removable drive. It looks for them every time I open Elements, making the program very slow to start up.  Joanne

If the Organizer is slow to start and seems to be searching, you should check two things:

- that you have not set the 'watched folders' service to look at the network drive (file/watched folders menu)

- that in the preferences, files, you don't have checked automatic search and reconnection.

If you can access your files on the network drive from the organizer and see the thumbnails, no need to worry. You can move files from your internal drive to and from the network one by the file / move menu or by dragging and dropping folders in folder view. The organizer should not consider the network drive differently from an external USB drive : if such a drive is not physically connected, you'll get 'missing files'. Only the thumbnails which are stored in the catalog will show. It's different from files on a CD/DVD : if they are not connected, you'll get an offline media warning.

Only the catalog itself (the database) cannot be stored on a network drive; however it can be stored on an USB external drive.

If you want to upgrade to PSE11, be sure to make a full backup on a second external drive (such USB drives are affordable today). Note that from that backup, you are able to restore the files not only on their original location, but also in custom location, for instance in the internal drive of another computer (even if the original files are scattered over several internal or external drives).

If you install PSE11 on your present computer, you should be prompted to convert the existing catalog(s) to the new PSE11 format without having any files or folders to move or copy. That conversion does not change anything to your present PSE7 catalog, which is still working as before.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points