Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

pdf file and Firefox 20.00

May 9, 2013 12:53 AM

I'm not sure what's happening here but when I view a pdf file in Firefox 20.00 from a link on the website it shows all the text as below?

%x$#%-%%#*x%

If I view the pdf in Google Chrome or Safari the text is perfectly ok. Anyone come across this before, obviously something is wrong with Firefox?

Cheers

Os

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to osgood_

Hello Os,

I can not confirm that. However, it could be that this bug has already been removed in the latest German version (20.0.1).

See: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bundesrecht/bgb/gesamt.pdf:

drPDF.JPG

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:05 AM   in reply to osgood_

Is Firefox using Adobe Reader or Acrobat to render the PDF files, or the internal JavaScript-based tool?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Hi Dave,

here we are:

drPDFAd.JPG

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to osgood_

Hi Os,

your "%x$#%-%%#*x%" I for me defined it as a bug and so I used my link only as an example for the working FF, so the text isn't of interest per se.

My screenshot should show you (ensuring at the same time an answer to Dave) my FF "Einstellungen" (=settings). As you can see in my screenshot from above FF "took" Adobe Acrobat". You/we have the choice, see new screenshot.

drFF10.jpg

HTH.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to osgood_

Hi Os,

you are welcome! See you ;-)))

Hans-Günter

P.S.

I'm struggling at the moment with IE10, who will not allow me to answer or to edit a given forum statement. All these things will work only in FF at the moment!

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 9, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to hans-g.

If you don't have a default program defined to display pdfs in Firefox, it will try to get you to download a file to display it in the browser. If I remember right, it thinks it's pdf.js

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to osgood_

Mozilla decided a couple of versions back to introduce their own PDF viewer, and every major update to Firefox resets it as the default, even if you've told it to use Acrobat instead.

osgood_ wrote:

As you say it must be a bug because it's only since v20.00 Ive noticed the difference. Infact before that Firefox never opened it up in a browser window but always downloaded the pdf so when the automatic update happened something in 20.00 has changed.

Cheers

Os

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 9, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to osgood_

Well, what do the say, "Change is good!" Well the older I get the less change I like. I hope this all works out for everyone. Os... you said six years in another post, I only got 2 years and 3 months. Then that's a big change for me. =)

I hope everything works out.

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points