krharris46
Currently Being Moderated

newly downloaded Audition won't open

May 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Despite numerous downloads.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to krharris46

Nobody can know. Pardon me, but "My car doesn't run" questions are utterly and totally useless. You need to provide system information and otehr details. As a start, verify that your system actualyl meets the system requirements on teh product page.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to krharris46

Krharris46 do you receive any specific error messages?  I would also recommend checking your installation logs for errors.  You can find details on how to locae and interpret your installation log files at Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5, CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5 -cs5.html.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to krharris46

Thank you Krharris46.  I have moved this discussion to the Audition CS5.5 & CS6 forum.  The users in this forum should be able to provide additional guidance regarding difficulties you are facing with Audition CS6 opening successfully.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Try opening Audition holding down the Shift key. This bypasses some of Audition's configuration files that may have been corrupted somehow. Alternatively uninstall and reinstall Audition.

Have you applied the 5.02 update which addresses some bugs including a problem with some Mac fonts which can stop Audition opening?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5472

Message was edited by: ryclark

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to krharris46

Hi krharris,

When Audition crashes next, please do the following:

- Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

- On the left, expose User Diagnostics Reports and select the most recent Adobe Audition crash log

- Copy/Paste the crash log text to an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com

I'll take a look at the crash report and determine the issue.  If you haven't yet done so, you may also want to install the CS6 5.0.2 update patch, which you can download from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5472  One of the issues it fixes is a crash on certain Mac systems on launch.  I can't guarantee this is the same problem that you're currently experiencing, but it will help rule it out as we move forward.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 12:02 AM   in reply to _durin_

I am having the same issue with Audtion crashing everytime on start up. I've tried clearing my users/appdata/temp/audition/5.0 folder. I even downloaded the 5.0.2 patch and still can't get Audition to load. It was working fine a few weeks ago. I am on the Surface Pro / Win8. Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

Can you let us know what specifically happens when you try to launch Audition?  What error message do you see, if any?  Since it last launched successfully, what may have changed on this system?  Windows updates, new or changed audio hardware, etc...?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

I'm having this exact same problem; also using Surface Pro.  What I have to keep doing is going back to my previous restore point before the last update.  I've also tried the shift key startup, clearing the 5.0 folder, and 5.0.2 patch.  Seems like a system restore is the only thing working for now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to _durin_

2013-05-18_1412.png

This is the only error message that comes up.  As soon as I open Audition, it goes to this and that's it.  There was a firmware update issued on 5/14, security updates to flash player, .NET, ActiveX, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to crazyastroman

Crazy posted the same image i took a screen cap of but here is what I would get before the windows message. Whether I chose Continue or Delete it always ends up crashing.

auditionerror.jpgwindowserror.jpg

Crazy did you install the newest wacom driver as well? I installed their latest driver which enables pressure sensitivity in adobe products I thought it might be an issue so i uninstalled it, but still no luck. Not sure how that driver would affect anything in audition though.

wacom driver link:

http://www.wacom.com/shared/downloads/drivers/isd-dualtouch-driver

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

Has there been any update on this? I would really like to use Adobe Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

I need to see if we have any Surface Pro's in our testing lab and see if I can reproduce this issue.  In both of your cases, this occurred after installing a firmware update?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to _durin_

I'm not 100% sure of that, but I would assume so.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

I've got a Surface Pro, and I can confirm that Audition started crashing after installing this month's firmware update. Reinstalling Audition didn't fix the issue, and renaming/deleting the preferences folder in AppData didn't do it either. The crash log ended at

Ticks = 3188      <2224> <AuLog.DisplaySurface> <5> Video Panel is using the Display Surface

and just from where the "Audition has stopped responding" window pops up, it seems to happen right when the UI first gets drawn.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to whcook

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'm looking into it.

edit: Any chance any of you have another Adobe video application installed, such as Premiere Pro or After Effects, and if so, do you see the same behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to _durin_

If one of you have a chance, can you try the instructions for Solution #2 at http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/kb/audition-cs6-crashes-launch.html and see if that makes a difference?

My suspicion right now is that a library Audition uses called Adobe Graphics Manager, which provides acceleration for video playback and some of the more animated elements, may be in conflict with some aspect of the new firmware.  I'm hoping to confirm this, and those instructions should disable it.

Thank you in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to _durin_

I tried both solutions 2 and 3, but Audition still crashed at the same place.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to whcook

Okay, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to _durin_

I just saw your edit above - Premiere runs without a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to whcook

Thanks.  Not the answers I expected, but definitely helpful.  I've had to order one of these for testing, but won't have it for a few days yet, so I'm on the hunt for a coworker with their own.  I'll follow-up as soon as I have more information or questions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to _durin_

hey there, surface pro user here with the may firmware update. i have attempted the debug script and clearing the 5.0 roaming data and it still will not launch. adobe premier and photoshop launch fine. i have not been able to get the software to launch a single time with this firmware.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to blacklightalf

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so if someone wants to grab a crash dump and share it somewhere, I can get that to our engineers to pick apart ASAP.

To get a crash dump, bring up Task Manager and look at the detailed Processes.  Right-click on the Adobe Audition.exe process and choose to write a crash dump file.  I know it's slightly different on Win 8, but I'm not at a Windows PC to double-check right now.  Once that file is written, if you can share it with me, that would be great.  I can provide a private FTP, or we can use Dropbox, Creative Cloud, or another file transfer tool.  Send me an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and I'll get back to you.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to _durin_

I've got a crash dump ready. Just sent you an email.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to whcook

Thanks for your help everyone.  We're in touch with Microsoft and working on a solution.  At this time there does not appear to be a way to roll-back the firmware on these devices, so there's no workaround right now. I'll update this thread when I have additional information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hi everyone,

Quick update.  With Microsoft's assistance, it was determined the culprit was an Intel HD 4000 graphics driver update included with the firmware update that triggered this issue.  The simplest workaround right now is to open your Display preferences and roll back the driver.  (The update installs v. 9.17.10.3062, while rolling back moves to 9.17.10.2867 in my case, which allows Audition to launch successfully.)

I also went to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and downloaded the latest drivers for the Intel HD 4000 which install v. 9.18.10.3165 and Audition works great with his latest driver as well.

We'll continue to investigate if there's something we can do on our end to limit this issue, but updating to the latest graphics driver from Intel appears to be the best fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to _durin_

Just want to verify that the rollback option works for me. Thanks a bunch. I tried to follow the link you posted to Intel's download center, but it can't seem to locate the newest Intel HD 4000 driver you mention. Obviously more their issue, hope it's truly fixed soon, but I can deal with older driver for now.

Thanks again!

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to _durin_

I can also confirm the new drivers did the trick. For those who have trouble finding it, this is the set I used:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22842& keyword=hd+4000&lang=eng

Thanks for looking into the issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to whcook

So when I rolled back the driver Audition worked immediately. But as soon as I restarted my machine, Audition was back to crashing. I then installed the newest drivers, and again Audition worked immediately after, but now, again, after restarting or waking the tablet from sleep Audition crashes - doing the same thing as before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to Ian_Corrao

I am not seeing this behavior.  After rolling back and updating, Audition has launched flawlessly whether it's hibernated or shut down.  Can you verify the version of Intel graphics driver that Windows is using right now?  I find this easily by right-clicking/tap-and-hold on the desktop, and selecting Graphic Properties.  The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel launches and the Driver Version is displayed in the middle.  I am currently using 9.18.10.3165

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to _durin_

Ok it was just a matter of me not reading everything. The Intel site has the drivers listed as version 15 something or other. I finally read the description that said (9.18.10.3165). Audtition seems to be working now, thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points