Skip navigation
Turkanaboy
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign and DPS - can I share styles between articles?

May 9, 2013 4:19 PM

Tags: #app #dps #ipad #style_change

Hello,

I just started with InDesign and DPS trying to create my first iPad app. I believe I understand the concept pretty well, creating a folio of "articles" which are individual InDesign files.

I am wondering if it is possible, when doing this, to designate one "article" or some sort of template which would serve as the master for styles, with all other articles taking their style rules from it. Basically if I want to change the "basic paragraph" color, size, etc. I would like to do this just once and have all other articles in my portfolio update automatically.

Also I was hoping I could use this method to save file size. For example, if I put a background photo on my master page, I would like all other articles to use that same master if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to Turkanaboy

You could try synchronzing styles etc with the book panel. Beyond that, no, and it has nothing to do with DPS and everything to do with InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to Turkanaboy

I haven't tried it myself but I can't see why it would be a problem.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:46 AM   in reply to Turkanaboy

Hello,

I have the exact same need, would like to share/synchronize styles (+ even color swatches if possible ?) between all my .indd documents from the same folio.

Did you try the book panel thing ? Is it compatible with a DPS process ?

Julie

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to Wheneverisay

Why not try it and see (on a copy of your files, of course).

BTW, there is a DPS forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Here's a link to the DPS forum, a better place to discuss these issues:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/dps

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

So yes, with a Book document, you can synchronize all styles and master pages. (A different approach may decide to build a master file containing all these common elements, and then save the document as a template to be distributed out to other users.)

Additionally, when once you begin to build Horizontal and Vertical DPS layouts for iPad, you can link the original text article, so that editing it once in the Vertical layout will allow it to be refreshed/updated in Links panel to the other Horizontal layout.

With DPS, you can not only link the text between the two versions, H and V, but you can further link the styles both versions are using. It can be the exact same style, or it can be a style uniquely named/modified for the needs of a Vertical layout versus a Horizontal layout.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points