Skip navigation
Anna Benediktsdóttir
Currently Being Moderated

Im using Garamond 3 font in Indesign. Now I need to have the text shown i Russian letters.

May 10, 2013 3:14 AM

Im using Garamond 3 font in InDesign. Now I need to have the text shown in Russian letters/Cyrrilic letters. How do I do that? Can anyone help me with this, please.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2013 4:19 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

Most likely, your Garamond doesn't have Cyrrilic glyphs. You can check it out via Glyphs pallette in InDesign. If so, you'll need another font, e.g., Garamond with Cyrrilic glyphs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

Is this really a translation question?  Winterm is probably correct about the Cyrillic glyphs, but even in a font that has them you must enter Cyrillic text to have them appear. You cannot simply change the assigned language and expect the text to change.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Is this really a translation question?

Sure, absolutely not!

I assume text itself is in Russian already, and you just need correct font to display it correctly. Font with cyr glyphs and proper coding.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to winterm

I don't think you can automatically make that assumption. We have no idea from the original question what language was used when creating the text. It's probably as you say, but it is not, in my mind, a certainty. We get users several times a year who think that changing the language attribute on text is somehow going to magically translate English words into Chinese glyphs, as an example.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

You want to look for an OpenType version of Garamond with Cyrillic glyphs included. There are MANY different cuts to choose from, and not all will have what you need, but one place you can start is http://www.linotype.com/3474/garamondfontfeature.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

In addition to nice and solid Peter's link, you can always try google for free TrueType alternatives, if you're on tight budget. Maybe you'll be lucky.

Edited:

However, if you want to create professional printout, you should consider a commercial font.

Free fonts sometimes have not all characters and signs, have no kerning pairs, etc.

Message was edited by: winterm

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

Yes, it does.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Anna Benediktsdóttir

It has full Cyrillic support, so if you enter Cyrillic text it should show as it should.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points