Skip navigation
jkkd123
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 runs wild!

May 10, 2013 1:07 PM

After using Adobe Premiere elements 10, on my iMac, for about half an hour, the insertion of single frame pictures to create a slideshow becomes unpredictable. Normally, I expand the time up to about 3 or 4 seconds but the system runs wild and expands the run time to up to 50 seconds. What am I doing to prompt this misbehaviour?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to jkkd123

jkkd123

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are inserting into the Timeline (width & height in pixels)? Are you doing a Time Lapse video (slideshow)? I suspect so with your mention of "single frame pictures", so how many of these photos with a 1 frame duration are you using when the wildness sets in?

What is the project preset for this project and what is on the Timeline prior to you placing the photos on that Timeline?

Later I will try for a calculation based on your

Normally, I expand the time up to about 3 or 4 seconds but the system runs wild and expands the run time to up to 50 seconds.

to try to guess-estimate for what I have just asked.

Can we assume that your Premiere Elements 10 is on Mac 64 bit? Is this a NTSC or PAL project?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to jkkd123

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to jkkd123

jkkd123

Thanks for the follow up. There are a lot of red flags in your workflow to explore.

Computer resources are a consideration. Premiere Elements 10 running in a Mac computer is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system or 32 bit application if it is running in a 32 bit system. As such, the system has the limitation of 32 bit system, that being maximum supported installed RAM = 4.0 GB of which typically 3.0 GB or less are available. Premiere Elements 11 Mac was the first to be a 64 bit application running in Mac 64 bit.

The other matter of concern is your Premiere Elements 10 project preset. If you do nothing in the New Project Dialog but OK it, the project preset will default to PAL DV Standard or NTSC DV Standard (depending on how your program was installed) for that 3264 x 1840 16:9 source media.

Next is that photo sizing, even with the correct project setting of NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen. Photos oversize for the project are the major cause of program's editing and exporting failures. True, you can scale your image in the workspace, but.... Keep in mind that the frame size forced on the export will be 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL), be it standard or widescreen. The widescreen will differ from the standard in that it includes a 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after enclosing. Consequently the classical recommendation is to resize your photos so that the pixel dimensions are close enough to those of the export standard but yet leaves room for some pans and zooms. You will often see not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape) for SD and something like 2200 x 1238 pixels for HD.

In your case, where your photos are 16:9 and your assumed project preset will be 16:9, it would be appropriate to batch Resize the photos according to the guidelines, using Photoshop Elements Full Editor File Menu/Process Multiple files. If you had a mismatch of 4:3 for photos and 16:9 as part of intended export, then you would need to consider Crop to rather than Resize. Photoshop Elements does not do a batch Crop. But the latter does not seem to apply to your case at this point.

I have not yet had a chance to check out the links provided for you by John T. Smith. Please review all, do some exploration and experimentation, get back to us with the results, and then we can decide what next based on your findings.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points