Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )

May 11, 2013 11:42 AM

Tags: #cs5 #avi #grassvalley

Hello friends, I went to the Grass Valley Website and downloaded the Edius Codec Option 6.52   ( Code Pack )
that they got for download, and seems to work good, but when I switched to my Windows 7 64b to import
a small video with this codec, Premiere Pro CS5.5 cant display the video, however you can see
the video on The Windows Files Browser, how is this?

Thanks       Orlando       

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to GESYMSB

Is this codecpack not meant for Edius?

Have you got Edius also installed along side Premiere?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to GESYMSB

There are three basic functions of a CODEC:

1. Allow for playback in many player programs (most common)
    2. Allow for Encoding from many NLE programs (smaller sub-set)
    3. Allow for use in editing by an NLE program (even smaller sub-set)

It could be that the Edius CODEC's just do not work in PrPro. A common example of this would be DivX, which works with many players, and even can be used to Encode from PrPro (in most cases), but seldom allows for editing in PrPro.

I do not know the Edius CODEC pack, so am speaking in very broad generalities.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to GESYMSB

Yes I know but do you have Edius installed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to GESYMSB

The icon system in Explorer is not the same thing as video playback.

Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, then something with Adobe is broken.

If not, then the Grass Valley codec isn't working properly with your footage.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, then something with Adobe is broken.

Not necessarily. As mentioned above, there are basically three types of CODEC's: playback (vast majority), Encoding (smaller sub-set), and finally editing (much smaller sub-set, and relative to the exact NLE used).

There are NLE's that can edit Xvid/DivX material, that is designed for streaming delivery, but no version of Premiere (Pro, or Elements), does a good job of editing that material. Same for many other CODEC's.

Playability is the main use of any CODEC, and editability is way, way down the list.

Also, it is common that one NLE will handle a particular CODEC (like Edius with Grass Valley CODEC's, or maybe AVID with their CODEC's). It is not uncommon that Premiere works great with some CODEC's, but not some others.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points