Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 does not show preview for Lumix GH3 RW2 files

May 12, 2013 3:15 AM

Tags: #bridge #previews #cs6

I was obliged to move from Photoshop CS5 to Photoshop CS6 because CS5 did not recognise the RW2 RAW files from my Panasonic Lumix GH3.  Now I have installed CS6, I have made the annoying discovery that Bridge (version 5.0.2.4 x64) is reluctant to display previews for RW2 files from my GH3.  It will display a preview of one or two files,  immediately after starting Bridge, or after minimising Bridge and restoring, but will not display a preview again until restarting.  Even then, it will only diplay a preview from the first file selected, and then no more.

Mini Bridge is even worse: it will not even display thumbnails from the GH3 files.

Cliking on thumbnails opens the files in Camera RAW as normal.

Both of the Bridge versions in CS6 will open RAW files from my Lumix GH2, Canon 5D, Fuji S3 Pro, Nikon NEF, so the problem exists only with files from GH3

There are no such problems with DNG or JPEG files, for which a preview is available without delay.

This is doubly annoying, because ACDSee 15 flawlessly and speedily shows previews and thumbnails for all GH3 RAW files.

Is there any know reason and a workaround for this bug in Photoshop CS6?

I do hope that somebody has an answer, otherwise I will have to revert to ACDSee as my browser, and abandon Bridge, which is ridiculous.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 12, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to Peter.King

It will display a preview of one or two files,  immediately after starting Bridge, or after minimising Bridge and restoring, but will not display a preview again until restarting.  Even then, it will only diplay a preview from the first file selected, and then no more.

First double check in Photoshop what version of Camera Raw you have. Photoshop / menu photoshop / about plug in / camera raw. inhere it should say at least 7.3 and only one version should be showing.

If you don't have 7.3 use the update under help menu, if you have at least ACR 7.3 go to Bridge and point the content window to the problem folder. Then go to the menu tools / cache/ purge cache for folder and see if this helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 13, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to Peter.King

Can't understand why the previews fail only for Pansonic GH3 RAW files.

There is still a lot of mystery when it comes down to the behavior of Bridge cache I'm afraid. While every new version is faster and offers more stability it still is a long way from perfect and certainly for long term usage (DAM, archive etc.) not very reliable. Having said that, on the short term it offers still the best option for pre process of files I can think of

I might have too many versions of Bridge!

Not the case, at least it should not be. You can have multiple versions installed but you can only use one version of Bridge at the time. On a Mac (stand alone, one user account) it is not even possible to start an other version while having already one Bridge active, it just switches to the active one regardless what other version you try to start. Not familiar with Windows but as long as you run version you be OK.

However the Bridge CS version links with scripts to the other suite applications of the same version so if you run CS5 PS and have Bridge CS6 active clicking on a file in Bridge will automatically starts PS CS6 to open in, unless you have set other file type associations in Bridge Prefs. But running actions in PS through tools menu of Bridge is working only for the same Suite version.

And to make it difficult, While Bridge runs only one version at the time you can have multiple versions of PS, Illustrator, InDesign etc open and running at the same time, the limit of usage is set by the power (RAM, processor) of your computer.

I have retained my Photoshoop CS5 and Bridge CS5, just in case I have problems with CS6.  I also installed the 32 bit version of CS6, for the same reason.   It might be better if I uninstall all but CS6, if I have any more trouble.

Most of the troubles will be resolved by either resetting prefs or purging cache

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 12:26 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

There is still a lot of mystery when it comes down to the behavior of Bridge cache I'm afraid.

That's one way of putting it. I prefer to call it sloppy programming.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 14, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to Yammer

That's one way of putting it. I prefer to call it sloppy programming.

What's in a name…

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points