Skip navigation
DevonSabreur
Currently Being Moderated

Object Removal

May 12, 2013 11:14 AM

HiI know there are numerous threads about removing objects from images, but I am having triuble removing an object without making it obvious what has happened.Could anyone advise of the most suitable way to remove the boat and people from this image? Many thanks!   http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveatkins/8732741830/

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to DevonSabreur

What version of photoshop elements are you using?

The clone stamp tool on a new blank layer with sample all layers in tool options bar checked is about the best way.

You just have to sample from different areas so the cloned area doesn't look like a pattern.

An example:

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Open the file

Open a blank layer above the background layer

Use the clone stamp tool. I actually used 3 blank layers, one for the bushes in the background, one for the water, one for the rocks.

For the bushes and water cloning, I selected the square brush set in the clone tool, rather than the round default set.

If you have problems, please come back.

boat_2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to DevonSabreur

Before I started the cloning, I did boost the contrast a bit because I had difficulty delineating the bushes/water.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to hatstead

Adding to what Kelly and hatstead said, a graphics tablet like those from Wacom excels at this job, because you can set size and opacity based on stylus pressure (versus "brute force" cloning using just a mouse). Photoshop Elements, of course, has this support.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 4:13 AM   in reply to DevonSabreur

This "shadow" may due be incomplete/imperfect coverage with cloning. This picture is good  for learning to use the tools.

Try this;

Duplicate the background layer, shut off visibility of background layer, work on background copy layer

Boost the contrast a bit

Use the lasso tool to roughly outline the boat, then hit delete on the keyboard. The checkerboard pattern denotes transparency. Get rid of the marching ants with CTRL+D.

Now do the cloning.

If this still does not work for you, try making a selection of some of the rock area with the lasso tool, a " patch",  place this on its own layer (CTRL+J), use the move tool to position the patch, and the transform tool (CTRL+T) to skew/distort the patch to blend in.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to DevonSabreur

Indeed, the program has a steep learning curve. Frequently there are several options for doing things.

Yes, straighten first. Go View menu>check grid, as the grid will help to orient you. Note that you can configure the grid via Edit menu>preferences>guides and grid. I leave my grid set at Guidline every 100%, Subdivisions 3. This way I can compose with the rule of thirds in mind. The grid is sticky, so you don't have to set it up each time, and it will not print. Toggle it on/off as desired.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to DevonSabreur

Looks nice. How about adding a cloud or two to break up the sky?

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail &extid=1041011

You can download and install a set of cloud brushes from Adobe Studio Exchange (free).

These brushes use the foreground color;  set the chip to white. Don't paint, just click to apply a cloud. Do it on a blank layer at the top, so that you can adjust the layer opacity.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to DevonSabreur

I like it. Thanks for the follow-up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers