Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Offending operator: '1096.s'

May 13, 2013 8:25 AM

Tags: #cs4 #file #cs5

I've been having some difficulty in rectifying this issue. It only recently started happening and to a file that is of great importance to me.

Since it happened and I continue to open the file 3 weeks worth of work with and outside the workspace vanished.

I've noticed some forums where 'Enable Content Recovery' was recommended.

I've followed these steps until I reach the _activefile.ai open in Text Wrangler.

I've found the questionable text.

(but herin lies the problem)

I am not quite sure how much of this text I should delete. Where to begin and end. And I know this is important because one thing deleted or kept in extra I will have to continue to repeat until I get it right.

So,

I've attached the 'error message' along with a large group of the Post script text with the exact Offending operator error line highlighted.

If someone, Anyone can please reply with the exact verbiage to delete, in from here to here terms, I would greatly appreciate it. Recovering any lost data would be of tremendous value to me. I thank anyone in advance who cares to take their time to assist me.

errormsg.png

highlighted_error_intext.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to flytystix777

flytystix,

Obviosly, you should work on a copy of the file so that you keep the original corrupt one until everything is sorted.

You may start by trying to insert a space so that the end of the offending line becomes:

1096. s

Failing that, you may try to delete:

1096.s

Failing that, you may try to delete the whole line.

Failing that, you may try to delete the whole block of 5 lines along with one of the S lines above/below it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to flytystix777

Look at the other thread that you posted to for a possible solution.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416912?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to flytystix777

Is the file available to look at? Can you make it available on a file sharing site like DropBox

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to flytystix777

It really doesn't but the following are garbage as well.

Picture+18.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to flytystix777

flytystix,

Do these error messages move further down the text representing the file any any of the cases?

If that is the case, it may be worth continuing, to see whether you get through to an opening of the file with whichever parts may be rescued.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to flytystix777

No problem but what you have shown in the two subsequent screen captures are mostly garbage. What's in the file and when was the last time you were able to open it? Did you make a backup at any time? the numbers just don't make sense. PostScript is just a way to describe the position on the page of items and numerical descriptions of the locations of points used in formulas to draw the lines.

It looks like this is a fairly large file. Is this correct?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to flytystix777

I hate to tell you but you will probably have the best luck by redoing everything from the previous backup. It looks like the file is really messed up and nothing we do here is going to save it. That is 350MB file size is huge for an AI file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to flytystix777

You can try saving out of Acrobat as an EPS file and then reopen that in AI. It will all be one one layer but you may be able to recover some of it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to flytystix777

flytystix,

One of the ways to keep the artwork alive is to save with different names, maybe a new name every time you start a new aspect.

And you should always save the work externally before closing for the day. That may be done in different ways that may avert different dangers.

In addition to that, you should save regularly. And it may be a good thing to start a new layer for a new version of some artwork; you can always delete the old layer when you are sure.

All this will cut losses, but you can never avoid the risk.

And thank you for the nice words.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to flytystix777

flytystix,

I have just learned about a recovery tool in another thread.

You may download a trial here, and if it works, you may buy. The tool seems to cost $27 for a year, and it can be renewed for $12; maybe you can do that at any time if needed. I thought it would be worth a try.

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/buy_illustrator.html

This is the thread where moniuch tells about it:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1212908?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to flytystix777

You are welcome, flytystix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to flytystix777

@flytystix777, if you're interested in some notes after using the tool, go ahead and visit the thread mentioned in #20.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points