Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get changes made to a file appear after saving?

May 13, 2013 1:18 PM

Tags: #cs4 #file_name #pef #bridge_question

After I make changes to a file, I save it then click DONE. When I try to open it later in Bridge, the changes are only visible when I hover above the PIN. Also, changes do not show up in PS CS4. Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to adobe2418

You need to switch from embedded thumbnails to one of the HQ thumbnails.  Embedded are the smallest and fastest, but do not show raw edits.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to adobe2418

If you mark my post as answered I get credit, and thanks for kind words.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to adobe2418

Yes, thank you.  If viewing with e-mail it can be confusing.  I have never used that option.  I use the forum directly http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to adobe2418

If it is working correctly even if you have embedded thumbnails you should see the edits in the preview window and certainly when you open in PS.  THe thumbnails may not reflect the current settings.  You need to dump the cache and let it rebuild.  If you have cache exported you can only do the by visiting each folder and clicking on Tools/cache/purge cache for xxxx folder.

If you do not see the edits in preview or when opened in PS then there is another problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to adobe2418

adobe2418 wrote:

What I have been doing is "burning" the edges of the file. I can see it when using the adjustment brush tool in ACR. I then save it and click done…

Well, that'll certainly get you nowhere fast! 

If you click on "Save" or "Done" in ACR, the adjustments/edits are not applied to the image but merely kept as metadata in the sidecar file.

For the edits to be applied to the image itself, you need to click on the "Open" button in ACR and actually open the image in Photoshop and save it in Photoshop itself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to adobe2418

adobe2418 wrote:

…Also, I get a little yellow triangle with exclamation mark in it in upper right corner when I open the file…

That's precisely to alert you that the edits have NOT been applied, as I explained in my previous post.

adobe2418 wrote:

…Are there any other ways of resolving these issues besides using forums?…

No, Adobe does not support obsolete versions of its applications.  CS4 has not been supported ever since CS5 came out, now CS6 is current and it will be superseded on June 17.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 14, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to station_two

If you click on "Save" or "Done" in ACR, the adjustments/edits are not applied to the image but merely kept as metadata in the sidecar file.

Here must be some misunderstanding in post info. If the OP saves the file it should save as a new file with the settings applied, but in this case there would be a save option window for file type and location. If the OP chooses 'done' the thumbnail and preview should update with the new settings in the Bridge window. When choosing open image the image with applied settings should open in PS.

Now I can't check myself because I don't have CS4 anymore installed on my machine and I don't use adjustment brush in ACR but apply this in PS itself using layer mask and adjustment layers. But just tried it in current CS6 version and had no problem to se the adjustments appear in Bridge after clicking Done in ACR.

And the yellow triangle should disappear after a short while to indicate ACR has read all the info and applied it to the preview. If the warning stays put it is more likely that either the resources of the machine are not meeting the minimal required specs or something else is wrong on install or converting to DNG.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

…Here must be some misunderstanding in post info. If the OP saves the file it should save as a new file with the settings applied, but in this case there would be a save option window for file type and location.…

Omke is, of course, correct in all respects.  My bad.  That was a major senior moment on my part.

Hopefully Omke and/or Curt Y will bring this to the attention of the forum hosts/moderators and my post #9 will be deleted in its entirety. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 15, 2013 4:04 AM   in reply to station_two

My bad.  That was a major senior moment on my part.

Nothing bad nor senior about the acknowledgement of such a moment

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to adobe2418

OK, lets try a simple experiment rather than dealing with generalities.  This is a test I just did, see if you can repeat. 

1. Set your thumbnails to embedded.  Then go to Tools/cache/purge cache for xxx folder.

2.  Select jpeg image and and "save as" meta test.

3.. Right click on meta test jpeg image and select open in camera raw. 

4.  Move the tint slider all the way to one side to make an image that is easily recognizible as changed.

5.  Click Done.

Now the thumbnail should be unchanged.  If you click on image the preview should show the changes.  Then the thumbnail will also reflect the change.  If you want to experiment more click on edit/develop settings/clear settings to get you back to zero.  Dump the cache again.

Report back on how this works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to adobe2418

I don't have CS4 on my machine, but tried on CS5 and adjustment brush and changes showed up, even with embedded thumbs.  Although I never use this feature, do all my stuff in PS.  Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 16, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to adobe2418

Any ideas on how to make the adjustment brush changes visible?

Have you already tried to reset the preferences for Photoshop and maybe also for Bridge.

And since not many people do have CS4 anymore installed you might also tell what system and system version you are using so others might be able to check if they have the same set up.

And I forgot but when was the adjustment brush in ACR introduced, was that CS4 or CS3? Do you have the latest updates for CS4

And maybe you can download a trial of CS6 to see if this has other behavior?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points