Skip navigation
YCLCS
Currently Being Moderated

If I want to keep the quality of the original captured footage(from the tapes),what format should I?

May 14, 2013 1:44 AM

I captured canon hv20 by firewire to my computer with adobe premiere elements 11. After capture, I have cutted clip three times. Then I want to export my computer because of I watch on my 46 inches full hd lcd television. If I want to keep the quality of the original captured footage (from the tapes), what format should I? I choosen mpeg 1440x1080i 24, it alerts error. Or i chosee avchd 1920x1080p, then it is too larger than captured scenes. I think it is 20000MB but captured scened (without cut) only 11.2 gb. Please help me. Thanks very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to YCLCS

What device are you going to play this video file on, YCLCS?

A DVD? A BluRay disc? Apple TV? A TV plugged into your computer?

That will determine which format you should output your movie as.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to YCLCS

YCLCS

For now assuming NTSC

When you have your footage on the Timeline (split into 3), what are the project settings if you look Edit Menu/Project Settings? Do these project settings indicate that your project setting reflects a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second?

(From what you wrote, I am assuming that you did a HDV capture firewire into Premiere Elements (whatever version, with setting for NTSC HDV) so that your source media for the project is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.)

What is the duration of the Timeline that you export?

Please confirm the details of your exports.

a. I see no MPEG 1440 x 1080i 24 under Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG/. I see only the choices of MPEG2 1440 x 1080i 25 or 30, no 24. How are you setting for 24 frames per second here. Advanced Button/Video Tab does not seem to offer that choice.

b. What does the error message say and where is the error message, in the Export Settings dialog where you are trying to customize the preset (Advanced Button/Video Tab) or when you are looking at the MPEG panel in the Computer/MPEG area?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to YCLCS

For high quality viewing on pc use the settings from the screen dump.

export pc bd.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

For archiving and re-use you can use the Lagarith codec.

Download and install the codec and export with settings shown below.

File will be huge, but then again Lagarith is a lossless codec.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

lagarith.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to YCLCS

YCLCS

File size and Bitrate and Quality are interrelated. From what I have read, the bitrate for your HDV footage from the PAL Canon HV20 camcorder should be about 25 Mbps (megabits per second). If you did a HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements, you should MPEG2.mpg file on the Timeline.

When you did your export

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

using Presets = MPEG2 1440 x 1080i25, did you make any changes in the settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset?

When you look at the settings in the Export Settings dialog for the MPEG 1440 x 1080i25 preset, you will see the default bitrate settings

Minimum = 18 Mbps

Target = 25 Mbps

Maximum = 30 Mbps

The program's export bitrate may be higher than that of your source media, resulting in the increased file size. You can check out the bitrate, using the properties readout from a free program such a MediaInfo

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

You could experiment with different bitrate, trying to maintain the quality as you decrease the maximum bitrate from 30 Mbps downward to reduce the file size.

The file extension of your export should be .m2t, .mpg. So, your export is MPEG2.m2t. I find that that type of file will playback in Windows Media Player, but not QuickTime (latest version). This particular export would be the closest to the source media properties.

But, right now I would try to perfect the MPEG2 1440 x 1080i25, experimenting with the bitrate to bring the file size into line with the source file and still maintain video quality. The AVCHD.mp4 suggested by Ann Bens is a prime candidate quality wise. If size becomes a factor, you might want to explore a 1920 x 1080i25 or 1440 x 1080i25 Windows Media Video 9.wmv file which we can discuss in more detail depending on how things are going.

Please review the above and then let us know how we can help.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Mpeg2 codec is not a high quality codec.

Stick to H.264, either m2t or mp4.

Unfortunately Elements does not export to BluRay folder.

Otherwise you could have ripped the m2ts from the stream: that will give a perfect file.

Also suited for Standalone Media player.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to YCLCS

Which country are you from. I am from Holland.

I have a HV20 but also a XHA1 so I know how HDV works.

If you want to watch it on TV with a computer connected or even a stand alone Media Player mp4 is the way to go.

The example with the Lagarith codec is not for watching on TV but just for high quality archiving and wanted to re-use in the future.

In fact you do not have to archive your footage as its already on tape. That is your best archiving solution.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to YCLCS

YCLCS

Thanks for asking for clarification on my post that you quoted.

When I spoke to size, I was referring to file size, not frame size. Whether you decide on a 1920 x 1080 16:9 (square pixels) project preset or a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project preset, the display will be 1920 x 1080. In the case of the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, it is that 16:9 flag that stretches the 1440 x 1080 for display after encoding.

Since you seemed to be seeking the same video compression (MPEG2) for the export as for your import, I offered suggestion related to the MPEG2 choice. If you are open to other exports with different video compression (for example, AVCHD as posted by Ann Bens), then you could make a comparison of your results to verify that you are getting the best quality outcome. The 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 can (often times) be exported with a 1920 x 1080 preset. As I said, you get the same 1920 x 1080 display with either. The rationale that I have seen posted for that is that with 1920 x 1080 you do not need to depend on a 16:9 flag interpretation/recognition by the TV/player to get the 1920 x 1080 display. That 1920 x 1080 displays without any stretching involved.

Please review, and, please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about anything that I wrote.

Thanks.

ATR

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Made correction per ATR's request.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to YCLCS

YCLCS

Thank you for the follow up.

I did want to point out a typing error in my post #13 which I cannot get into to correct. The system will not let me.

Please refer to post #13 the paragraph quoted below, and the sentence that I put in bold print below.

Since you seemed to be seeking the same video compression (MPEG2) for the export as for your import, I offered suggestion related to the MPEG2 choice. If you are open to other exports with different video compression (for example, AVCHD as posted by Ann Bens), then you could make a comparison of your results to verify that you are getting the best quality outcome. The 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 can (often times) be exported with a 1920 x 1080 preset. As I said, you get the same 1920 x 1080 display with either. The rationale that I have seen posted for that is that with 1920 x 1080 you do not need to depend on a 16:9 flag interpretation/recognition by the TV/player to get the 1920 x 1080 display. That 1920 x 1080 displays with any stretching involved.

"That 1920 x 1080 displays with any stretching involved."

should be

"That 1920 x 1080 displays without any stretching involved."

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Correction to Reply #13 made. If that does not meet with your approval, please let me know.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Thanks. Glad you saw that and made the correction in post #13. I always worry about a reader who is in a hurry and stops at the post with the typing error and does not continue to read the subsequent post with the correction.

Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points