Skip navigation
roller666
Currently Being Moderated

Can I edit a movie from a bundle of different file types / sizes

May 14, 2013 2:55 AM

Can I edit a movie from a bundle of different file types / sizes etc

I asked this yesterday and had one good response ... I have added more detail to the question and hoping for a push in the right direction !

I am using Prem Elements 11

Windows 7 64bit

I am making a birthday movie and all contributors have sent me different filetypes / sizes / frame rates

I  think all are supported by Windows except one which only played on VLC  Media player (this one was named as  "xxx.MOV - Google Drive.flv" )

Mostly mp4 but at 4 different sizes !

Several MOV files - 2 different sizes

m4v file at a completely different size

I tried converting the flv file to mp4 - the video converted fine, but the sound vanished.

I  would be most grateful for a steer in the right direction ... I'm a  fast learner - but my expertise has been mainly with stills not video

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to roller666

roller666

Your categories

Mostly mp4 but at 4 different sizes !

Several MOV files - 2 different sizes

m4v file at a completely different size

and a flv to which you referred

I was meaning to get back to you asking for more details so that I could suggest a model workflow that you could try out. So, before I get detoured, let me ask the questions now:

1. If you have not already, please download and install the free MediaInfo program so that we can get source media properties information

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I realize that you are detailing with an assortment of video, so maybe give me a sampling from each of your categories representing a range.

As you know, flv is not a supported type in Premiere Elements. What did you use for the conversion of .flv to .mp4, including properties of .flv and properties of the .mp4 involved.

2. The automatic setting of the Premiere Elements 11 project preset (New Project Dialog) may need to be replaced with a manual set of the project preset File Menu/New/Project. But let us check out the properties of your video assets to start.

3. What is your projected Timeline duration for one of your projects with this mixed Timeline? Are your computer resources optimized?

4. Do you have a primary goal of export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc (DVD or Blu-ray)?

If you are OK with stills and are comfortable with the basic principles of Premiere Elements and depending on the quality of the source media, you should do just fine.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to roller666

roller666 wrote:

Can I edit a movie from a bundle of different file types / sizes etc

The simple way to find out is to start a new project, put the most important clip in the timeline first (to establish the project settings) and then add the rest before or after the first one. 

See if it plays!  Remember that the originals are never changed, only used.  There is no risk trying it the simple way first.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to roller666

roller666

You wrote:

Well,  all files are in the project, and plays OK on the timeline.

So the answer, I guess, is that PremElements takes anything you throw at it !

That is great news, but not necessarily true about "...takes anything you throw at it!"

In the information that you posted was great. But, the key information that I targeted in that example was:

AVCHD (represented by avi1)

1920 x 1080 16:9

29.97 frames per second

Progressive

Bitrate 17.0 Mbps (megabits per second)

and

AAC 2 channel audio.

Let us assume that the above type is your project's primary interest, and everything else needs to fall into place around it. The project preset for that source media would be:

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Premiere Elements 11 has a default project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30. And, after you Add Media and drag the FIRST FILE to the Timeline Expert view, the program will analyze  that file and reset the project preset to match the properties of the file. It does not always succeed in that task. When it has difficulies with the match it defaults to its default, that NTSC Full HD1080i30. So, first order of business is to determine what the program has set for the project preset in your case. Please check Edit Menu/Project Settings to find out. If the program is not set correctly, the start a new project, immediately go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset yourself to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97, making sure that you put a check mark next to "Force selected Project Setting on this project". And, then use the Add Media to import your file into the program's Project Assets  from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

The space in the Edit Mode monitor represents the sizing for 1920 x 1080 based on your project preset setting. If you bring in files with 720 x 480 or 1280 x 720, then you can scale that video to eliminate any black borders that exist. See what that looks like. To scale, highlight your video on the Timeline, click on Applied Effects tab to the right of the interface in order to bring up the Applied Effects Palette with its Motion Panel. Expand the Motion Panel to reveal its option which include Scale. With constrain proportions used, width and height are scale together. If you do not use constrain proportions, then width and height can be scaled individually. To avoid distortions, start with constrain proportions selected.

Another approach to this black border matter, is filling the black borders in with an approprate background. The clip with the black borders would go on Video 2 and the background design on Video 1.

Remember the mini test run with a representative sampling of files before the grand project. Great news that you were about to convert the .flv into a format that has video and audio in Premiere Elements.

The above was a generalization for now. Please let me know how I can elaborate on it more to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points