Skip navigation
tbdmbe
Currently Being Moderated

How do I size photographs for e-mail attachment

May 14, 2013 5:18 AM

Advice please - how should I size a photograph to attach it in sensible proportions to an e-mail when using Elements 11?  In Elements 9 I set the dpi at 72 and then the longest length at 1024mm.   he shortest length was set automatically by the programme.  Elements 11 doesn't allow me to do this.  I've tried starting off with 72 dpi but as soon as I enter the longest length the dpi changes.  This did not happen with E9 and in E9 the size of the attachment was measured in KB's but with E11 I finish up with quite large MB sizes.   I'm afraid I'm not very good with computer programmes and being in my mid 70's it takes me time to get to grip with new programmes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to tbdmbe

PPI (not dpi) is irrelevant here. Setting it to any given number won't get you the right size.

Set the long edge to however many pixels you want it to be, for example, 1000 pixels. PSE will determine the short edge, and then you have completed your resize.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to dj_paige

The constraint come in from the the ISP. You may be limited to the file size for e-mail attachement.

I do it via File>save for web. In the dialog, at the top, select JPEG in the drop-down, under new size enter 800 for the long side, and check constrain proportions at the bottom, then apply.

Save the file with a different name, and send via e-mail.

After you have sent the picture, you can delete it if you wish, and you still have the original one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points