Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Two-color radial gradient

May 14, 2013 7:30 AM

Imagine a radial gradient that goes from red in the center to transparant. Then cut it in half. Then on the bottom, I need it to go from blue in the center to transparant. Also radial. How do I do this in Illustrator? I want it to look like it's all the same radial gradient... just red on top and blue on the bottom. I've mocked it up in Photoshop below. But I want to know if I can do this in Illustrator. I couldn't figure it out. example.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

In Illustrator you need 2 gradients both with a clipping mask applied to them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Julie,

A simple way of doing it could be to:

1) Create the two full gradients on top of each other;

2) Create a circle of (at least) the same size on the very top and delete half of it (Direct Select top or bottom Anchor Point, press delete, then Ctrl/Cmd+J);

3) Select the half circle and the topmost gradient and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

Edit: Hi Scott. 2 Clipping Masks?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

2 masks assuming you want transparent outer edges - otherwise the unclipped portion of the bottom gradient would show through transparent areas of the top gradient, and vice versa.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Julie,

Another way might be to:

1) Create one gradient normally to a full circle;

2) Create a circle of (at least) the same size on top and delete half of it (Direct Select top or bottom Anchor Point, press delete, then Ctrl/Cmd+J), then Object>Path>Add Anchor Points, then drag with the Gradient Tool from the centre Anchor Point to the rim and edit the gradient (changing the colour basically).

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Ah, Scott.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Another option is 2 semi-circles each with its own offset radial gradient:

Snap_009.png

edit; Hi Jacob

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I thought of the two half circles, too, as the cleanest solution, Scott. But then I had just crawled some six feet into a rather entangled bush to clear it of stinging nettles. It proved to be a more than one hour and a half job.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

We all look forward to our hearing about your success, Julie.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

For my part you are welcome, Julie.

I hope you are using a Clipping Mask for both circles as Scott said, opposite of course, to avoid (the outer part of) the underlying circle shining through and muddling the colour.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

just because there are too many solutions to this issue I'm gonna throw mine in too. I did it with a graphic style, so you you can draw a box, circle, star or whatever, apply the style and end up with your sphere as long as you draw your initual shape proportionally

first I make a fill with the radial gradien fading from blue to transparent. I make it 200% tall. I ad a transform effect anchord at the bottom of the gradient and shrink it 50% vertically. I then drag the gradient down so it startst at the base of my shape.

I duplicate that fill and change the color, and the transform origin to the top center. I move the gradient origing to the top of my shape. and I save the style

that will work with any square shape you draw. just draw your shape and apply the style. if you want it to work with other shapes simply add a Convert to Shape effect and now you can apply the effect to any shape.

I personally avoid clipping masks whenever possible. I just don't like them.

roundgradient.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to mec_os

The Two color radial gradient thread lives.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points