Skip navigation
MalteS.
Currently Being Moderated

Embed H.264 exported videos in Powerpoint 2010

May 14, 2013 9:09 AM

Hello,

We are using CS 5.5 on Windows 7 x64. Our videos are exported using the H.264 format.

The problem is:

We can embed the video in powerpoint (assumed quicktime is installed) but when we want to play it in the presentation, it simply shows a black screen, audio works. The weird think now is, when I fast-forward for at least one time, it works. It only shows a blackscreen if you dont fast-forward for atleast one time.

The problem could be solved, by installing the k-lite codec pack, but since we are sending presentations to other people, outside of our company, this isnt a solution.

I checked it on Windows 7 x64 and x86 with office 32 bit and quicktime, I get always the same result.

Anyone else having trouble to get their H.264 exported videos working in powerpoint 2010?

Thanks in advance

Malte

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to MalteS.

Keep QuickTime out of it.  Export an MP4 file or a WMV file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to MalteS.

In that case,  I'd recommend just using WMV.  Just like you can't guarantee K-lite will be installed, the same applies to QuickTime.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to MalteS.

In that case, use MPEG, which should work fine on both Windows and Macs by default.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to MalteS.

I don't know why it's not working.  There's no filters or settings I'm aware of that will make it work.

But given your own requirements for not controlling what additional software is installed, MP4 (which requires QuickTime) isn't a good choice.  (Well, that and the fact that it's just not working.)

If you want a format for phones, export that out separately.  This is how things are usually done, with different exports to meet different delivery demands.  You can even export them both at the same time using Adobe media Encoder CS6, so upgrading might be work considering.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to MalteS.

If I can't solve the problem directly, I'll typically post other ways of getting the job done.  It's how I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 1:09 PM   in reply to MalteS.

You might also check your export resolution settings. 1080p wmv exports can be glitchy in all kinds of ways when playing back in PowerPoint, even if the source file was 1080p. Try rendering a 720p instead and see if this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2014 8:02 AM   in reply to MalteS.

According to Microsoft, all Mac OS versions of PowerPoint support MP4 file. For Windows, PowerPoint 2007 and lower version only support WMV, AVI, ASF, and MPG(MPEG-1) video formats, PowerPoint 2010 and higher added the support for MP4 format if you have Apple QuickTime player installed.

Converting your file to WMV(with WMV8 codec), AVI(with some ancient codec) or MPG format, is the most reliable way to ensure that you can add it to PowerPoint slide and the video is play-able even if you send your ppt to other people or play it on other machine.

[Text formatting corrected.  Please type your posts into the browser, as copy/paste often carries unwanted code.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points