Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video clips from Canon camcorder have wrong aspect ratio in Premiere Elements 11

May 14, 2013 9:23 AM

Tags: #video #elements #11 #aspect_ratio #premiere_elements #new_project_settings #video_clip_format

I recently purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and I'm having trouble importing clips from my Canon FS300 camcorder.The camcorder records widescreen video at 720 x 480 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio (presumably using non-square pixels) The clips play correctly in Windows Media Player, VLC, Real Player and several other players.  They do not display correctly in Quicktime or when imported into PE11, showing a 4:3 frame.  I have tried just about every New Project setting in PE11, but the closest result I can achieve is a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame. If I run the clips through the VLC Convert utility and output them using the Video - MPEG-2 + MPGA (TS) codec, the resulting clips import and play correctly in PE11. Is there some obscure setting I need to implement when importing these clips, or is PE11 just incapable of recognising file formats which seem to be no problem for most video players. I assume I have the necessary codecs installed, as the clips play correctly in other players.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Axxell CA

Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool (the Video Importer) to get the video from the camcorder to the computer? Doing this, rather than simply using Windows Explorer or Finder to move the files will usually fix this.

Otherwise, start a new project by going to File/New. On the New Project option screen, select Settings and select the preset for Hard Disk Camcorder, 720x480 widescreen. Then import your video into it and it should work fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to Axxell CA

Axxell CA

The key word here is .mod widescreen and all the problems associated with either the loss of the 16:9 flag in transferring from camera or the failure of the video editor to recognize the 16:9 flag. (It depends who you talk ). Classically the user is programmed to think .mod widescreen from a JVC camera. However...

From what I have read, your Canon FS300 is capturing MPEG2.mod widescreen. The classical answer to that classical problem that you are facing is:

Premiere Elements 11/Exoert view

Add Media

Project Assets containing your .mod widescreen file

Right click the file, select Interpret Footage

In the Interpret Footage dialog, go to the Pixel Aspect Ratio section and dot the Conform to: and set that field to read

D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)

or

D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)

depending on whether this is a NTSC or PAL project

If there are any minor black border remaining after Interpret Footage, the scale (constrain proporations on) the image in the monitor accordingly (should not take much).

The other half of this story is starting with the correct project preset. In your situation, I would strongly encourage you to set the project preset (New Project Dialog) yourself via File Menu/New/Project, using NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen project preset and making sure that you have a check mark next to "Force selected Project Setting on project.". If you let the program do its automatic thing in this regard, you will probably (almost certainly) end up with a NTSC or PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (or 25) project. After your manual set of the project preset, then use Add Media to bring your file into Project Assets where you will go through the Interpret Footage application.

Please review the above and let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Axxell CA

If you right-click on the clips in your Project Assets panel and select Interpret Footage, can you set it to widescreen?

As you might know, widescreen and standard 4:3 video have the same number of pixels. What changes the shape of the frame is the shape of these pixels.

You haven't said if your video looks tall and skinny, but that would be an indicator that it is widescreen video that is being interpretted as 4:3.

If your video isn't distorted and still doesn't fill at 16:9 video frame, then you may not actually have widescreen video after all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Axxell CA

Axxell CA

As I said, this story of .mod widescrren goes back several years and through the versions of Premiere Elements, with users voicing the same type of concerns and feelings about the matter as you have. If you do a Google search on this topic, it will be loaded. Typically it is the JVC footage that is involved. But it would appear, from your Canon footage, that the matter targets .mod widescreen regardless of the camera manufacturer. I am not sure if I have ever seen a definite explanation for all this. The focus seemed to get tossed between JVC and Adobe. Some claim a loss of the 16:9 flag going from camera to computer (if the 16:9 flag really ever existed) and some claim that the video editor does not recognize the flag. Whatever the case, editing of .mod widescreen continues to require special consideration, all of the time with regard to the 16:9 flag, other times with regard to the .mod file extension (.mod to .mpg needed) plus the 16:9 flag.

Essentially all who have run into this problem corrected the issue with the Interpret Footage feature of Premiere Elements. I am not sure how other video editor with the same problem have handled it. Some users have opted to convert the footage from MPEG2.mod widescreen to DV widescreen.avi prior to import into Premiere Elements.

After you replace Premiere Elements with another video editor, might I ask you to post back in this thread to let us know if you found a video editor, not player, that does not suffer from the 16:9 flag issue of .mod widescreen that you are seeing in Premiere Elements?

Success in whatever your decision.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Also note that often this is not an issue when you use the program's Video Importer tool (Add Media/From Flip or Camera) to get the video from the camcorder to your computer rather than simply dragging the files over to your hard drive using Windows Explorer.

Although, as Tony says, .mod files have some unique quirks. Many people have found that if they change the file suffix from .mod to .mpg, the program is better able to read the video's specs and match project specs to them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Thanks for your additional comments on this seemingly endless .mod widescreen issue presented here and elsewhere.

I will have to look into your observation

Also note that often this is not an issue when you use the program's Video Importer tool (Add Media/From Flip or Camera) to get the video from the camcorder to your computer rather than simply dragging the files over to your hard drive using Windows Explorer.

I have never seen anyone mention that before. Perhaps Axxel CA could give that a try before that Premiere Elements 11 gets sent back to Adobe for a refund and post his findings in this thread.

Also, all the reports that I have seen suggest that the renaming of the .mod to .mpg is not related to the 16:9 aspect ratio issue, but rather related to whether or not the .mod widescreen can and cannot be imported into the project. If file extension renaming from .mod to .mpg was necessary for import, the 16:9 problem persisted in all the cases that I have seen or read about. Axxel CA may also want to give this .mod to .mpg a look and let us know the results.

I will try to get some .mod widescreen to take a look also.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to Axxell CA

Axxel CA

Thank you for your findings and comments on this matter of the handling of .the mod widescreen by Premiere Elements. One continues to learn whether they be a beginning, intermediate, or advanced user of Premiere Elements. That is the rewarding part of this type of discussion.

I appreciated the manner in which you introduced the subject, stated the problem, gave your findings, and made your conclusions. I was particularly interested in the list of can do video editors. You need to go with what works for you.

After your previous post and that of SG, I went searching for a .mod widescreen online to experiment with in Premiere Elements 11. I could not find one at the moment. But then I remembered that someone had sent me a sample for troubleshooting a few years back. I found it finally. The results are presented for interest value and hopefully not to stir up controversy.

a. .mod to .mpg had no affect on the 16:9 issue in Premiere Elements 11...expected.

b. taking the .mod widescreen into Premiere Elements 11 via the Video Importer had no affect on the 16:9 issue in Premiere Elements 11...expected.

so far we seem to be in agreement in our findings.

The only video editor that I have of the 4 that you mentioned that worked in this regard was Windows Live Movie Maker. Windows Live Movie Maker  came with my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit computer so I took a look at the problem in that program. When I tried to import the .mod widescreen into that program via its Add Videos and Photos, it shutdown the program (.mod or .mpg file extenstion). Yet, when I imported that same file into Premiere Elements 11 on the same computer as Windows Live Movie Maker, it opened with no problem, but with the 16:9 issue that I could correct with the Interpret Footage feature.

True, that was a sampling of one .mod widescreen file. But the statement of the comparsion was unexpected. Based on that, if you had not planned to, please consider the tryout of your next video editor for use with the .mod widescreen to avoid unexpected results which will delay you moving forward with your video projects.

Success with your video editing projects whatever you decision,

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points