Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Drop-down menu in my Horizontal menu bar doesn't work on my iPhone

May 14, 2013 12:10 PM

Hi,

I have a horizontal menu bar with drop-down submenus that work fine on my desktop computer, but do not work on my iPhone (the submenus do not open).

I have used Dreamweaver CS6 to design our website. Any help on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

KN

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to sustainable_D

Any effect that is fired by :hover in css or "onmouseover" in javascript will sit on a handheld since they have no mouse pointer to tell them you are hovering or over the menu item.

I've changed some older scripts I've used from :hover to :focus or "onmouseover" to "onclick" to get the menus to fire on handhelds without too much fanfare.

It's hard to say what you'll need without seeing your page though. Do you have a link you could post?

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you the info you need to convert your current menu, though it's possible you'll need to scrap it and use a different menu script.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to sustainable_D

I think you might be in the "scrap it and use a different menu script" group I'm afraid.

Spry is no longer being developed or supported by Adobe. It started showing its age (especially in scripts like the menu) and just wasn't worth it to them anymore, especially with all of the other options available to people.

I would suggest moving to a full CSS based menu script. There are tons of free ones all over the internet and some paid ones that can be integrated into DW's Design View as well if you're not up for a little coding adventure.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to sustainable_D

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to sustainable_D

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:08 AM   in reply to sustainable_D

Hello sustainable_D,

I would recommend you AllWebMenus http://www.likno.com/allwebmenusinfo.html

It is a professional menu builder (paid) with too many features. And you can use it through the Dreamweaver Extension it has.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to Dave.Lu

jQuery Superfish is FREE. 

It works on Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7 and IE10 (with touchscreen).  First touch will open an associated submenu, second will follow the link. Mouse and keyboard accessibility works as normal. 

http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to sustainable_D

Manually remove all traces of Spry code and related files from your pages. 

See Primer for Using jQuery Plugins.

http://alt-web.blogspot.com/2012/11/primer-for-using-jquery-plug-ins.h tml

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points