Skip navigation
grahams computer
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS3

May 14, 2013 2:41 PM

Tags: #cs3

I am having a problem with CS3 Indesign showing a message: Javascript Error, Error No.45, Error String, Object Invalid, Lines 387 & 428. Can someone please help me 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to grahams computer

It sounds like you have some script set to be a startup script, and it's failing.

You should look in the startup scripts folder and see if you can determine what it might be.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to grahams computer

What is the OS?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

The startup Scripts folder will be a subfolder of the Scripts folder in your user profile or user library. That location, and wheter it is hidden, will vary with the OS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to grahams computer

I believe if you have any startup scripts they would be in <your username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/scripts/startup scripts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to grahams computer

Hi,

It can be in two locations (folder "Startup Scripts"):

• inside the Scripts folder in your InDesign application folder.
    • inside the Scripts  folder in your user-preferences folder (shown by Peter).

To quickly get there you can right click either Application or User folder in Scripts Panel and choose Reveal in Finder.

You have to take any script files out of these folders to stop their execution while InDesign start-up.

To find out why an error occurs -  it is another question...

Jarek

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to grahams computer

@Graham – there are two features that come with InDesign CS3 that are written in JavaScript (ExtendScript):
    "Export as XHtml" and "XHTML for Digital Editions".

The scripts for them are also hosted in the Scripts folder and should not be removed.

See the following screenshot of the Scripts folder at Applications/Adobe InDesign CS3/Scripts:

ScriptsFolderContents.png

Only the orange folder is a user defined folder (created by me). All other folders and contents is installed with InDesign CS3.
    As you can see there are other "Startup Scripts" folders that are absolutely needed.

Can you give us a screenshot of your Scripts folder like the one above?
    Maybe some of the needed scripts are damaged or were removed. If so, you should uninstall InDesign CS3, reinstall and patch to the latest version  5.0.4.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to grahams computer

grahams computer wrote:

when 

restarting computer the indesign program automatically boots, where 

as before this problem I always had started it manually

This seems significant to me, but I'm not a mac user. Any of you other folks recognize this symptom as far back as 10.4?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to grahams computer

Graham,

Image attachments are not enabled on the forums. You must either post a link to the image on a public server, or you can embed an image in a post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 12:38 AM   in reply to grahams computer

@Graham – nothing unusual at this point. Did you check your user directory for additional "Scripts Panel" folders?
    You can find it under:

User / YourUsername / Library / Preferences / Adobe InDesign / Version 5.0 / Scripts

If you cannot detect any Startup Scripts there, I really think, that something went wrong with one of the XHTML scripts that should automatically loading at startup.

What you can do to check is dragging the folders "Export As Xhtml" and "XHTL for Digital Editions" temporarily out of the Scripts folder to the desktop and restart InDesign CS3.

If the error message is gone, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign CS3.
    If this will fail, there is a cleaner tool at:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation -problems.html

I personally never needed to use it. Might be of help, if you want to get rid of (nearly) every trace of the Creative Suite on your machine. That said, did you install also newer versions of CS? If so, see the cleaner tool as last resort. Best read the comments on it twice before using it…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to grahams computer

Graham, can you post a screenshot of the complete error message? That would be most helpful in tracking down its source.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points