Skip navigation
Gsmith98
Currently Being Moderated

Why is my Layer Mask filling with Grey

May 14, 2013 2:43 PM

Tags: #photoshop #mask #layer #cs5.1 #mac_os_10.7

I'm working in a multi layered CS5.1 Photoshop project (I did not create it). One of the adjustment layers in the project needs a layer masks, and when I create one it is not working properly. I make my selection that I want to mask off and create the layer mask it creates it with White and a 50% gray insted of black. Likewise when I alt click to create a layer mask it fills it in with black and 50% gray. The layer did have a 87% opacity to it so I thought this was causing the gray to happen, but when I turned the Opacity to 100% the mask was still being created with gray.

I use the fill tool to fill the gray with Black or White (Fill settings are opacity 100 and fill 100) it fills the mask more like my fill opacity is set to 50%. Likewise it does this for the pant brush as well. I have messed with every layer setting I can find including the layer mask panel and the adjustment layer panel, and nothing seem to work.  Please help.

P.S. I'm doing this for work and so I cant take any screen shots to show what is going on.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Gsmith98

P.S. I'm doing this for work and so I cant take any screen shots to show what is going on.

Sure you can. There's no harm in just posting the layer panel with thumbnails set to thge smallest size. Nobody needs to see your super-secret "product X" photo. That aside, we need proper system info and info about your document - color profiles, color mode, dimensions etc.. From my own experience, e.g. "linear" files in 16bit rendered from 3D programs can make layer masks act a bit funky, but that fixes itself when converting to proper sRGB...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,878 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 15, 2013 2:30 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Hmmm...   I've just spent a few minutes trying to duplicate the same thing without success.   Have you tried the usual trick deleting Preferences?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Gsmith98

RGB is not a profile - it's a mode. The document profile can be revealed in the Info panel and in the status box at the bottom of a document window.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to Gsmith98

You wrote you made a selection. How? If a marquee tool check the feather setting

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,878 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 15, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to Gsmith98

I can remember a layered PS document refusing to play nicely a while back.  I made a new document with the same pixel dimensions, and pasted all the layers across, and everything worked fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Gsmith98

Gsmith98 wrote:

JJMack I made a selction based off of another Layer mask that I needed to duplicat on this new adjustment layer. And the mask worked the rigth way before.

How do you do that. Do you mean you did a Ctrl+click on the other layer content icon in the layers palette or did you use menu select>load selection>Layer name mask.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to Gsmith98

Gsmith98 wrote:

JJMack:  I control click the layer mask to select everything in it. The original layer does have some fethering to the file but i cant see why it would fill everythign the same shade of gray, and then not let me paint over it with black. This normally works for me and this issue is quite new.

Ctl+Clicking on the layer's layer mask icon in the layers palette should work and load the layer mask as a selection.  Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences. Also ALT+Clicking on the layer's layer mask icon in the layers palette should display the grayscale of the selection in the image window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points