Skip navigation
T_rod2902
Currently Being Moderated

How to view different channels

May 14, 2013 5:46 PM

I am trying to convert an image that I took in SlideBook using fluorescent dyes to label proteins on a cell. The original image has two channels (red and green) with different intensities for each which correspond with the amount of each respective protein present. The problem is when I open the image in PS and convert it to RGB mode, all three of the channels have the same intensities so I get a black image. If i vary the contrast I can see the image but it is in black and white and the intensities of each channel are the same so I am unable to separate the two colors. I need to be able to see both channels (red and green) with their original intensities but I cannot figure out how! any help would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to T_rod2902

Window > Channels.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to T_rod2902

What format are you saving? Some of the software used to capture fluorescent photomicrographs will save a multiple images a  one JPG2000, which Photoshop will open as a one channel bw file. See if saving as TIFF helps. If TIFF saves with color, but is too dark or light (another problem with some of this microphotography capture software) you can pull out that data usings Levels. Feel free to PM me with more specific details.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 6:17 AM   in reply to charles badland

Also, keep in mind many bio-medical/neuro journals no longer want red/green double labeled cell figures as they are poor contrast for color deficient readers (almost 10% of the male population in US). Most journals now want Magenta/Green color (with white indicating a double label)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points