Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 crashes when importing from a DVD

May 14, 2013 8:43 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #crash #windows_7 #elements #11 #premiere_elements

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Adobe Premiere Elements 11. 

I am trying to get footage off a set of DVDs I shot a while back (shot on a DVD cam, I forget what  the model is cuz it wasnt mine)  Anyway,  Everything went fine for the 1st 3 DVDs,  but when I got to the 4th, when I went to "get media" it does nothing for awhile, then if you try to click it freezes and the dialog box pops up saying the program is not responding and closes. 

Also,  after that happened,  it does the same thing with the other DVDs when I go back to try them.  I can play it via my DVD player software, but Adobe crashes when I try to get the media.

Also, after this error in adobe, my DVD drive locks and I can't eject via the manural button, and when i right click on the drive in My Computer hit eject, it says "error ejecting DVD-RW Drive" 

I have to eaither log off/restart  or go into the properties and disable the drive and reenable to be able to eject the DVD.

I really don't understand whats going on, and why its doing this.  Nothing changed on my computer inbetween ripping the DVD media, as I was doing them all back to back.  I would import from DVD, then export as WMV so I could send the footage to someone (the .VOB files wouldn't work for this and my file converters where not working right)

I have done an uninstall and reinstall (with a registry clean in between) and even a system restore to a previous point to resolve another issue I was having. (Could not make new folders)

But Adobe/DVD drive  is still having this issue.

I'm running on an HP Pavilion dm4-1165dx Laptop with Win 7 64bit btw.  I can get exact specs later if its nessesary.   But it was working just fine until I got to the last DVD so IDK why it would just quit on me like this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to cyrax037

For miniDVD cameras, an important step was to "Finalize" the miniDVD disc. Did you do that with the problem disc?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to cyrax037

Have you Copied the contents of each miniDVD to the internal HDD of your computer?

If not, that would be my next step in testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to cyrax037

>using Elements to rip the DVDs to my HD

http://www.open-dvd-ripper.com/dvd-ripper.html might be worth a look... I have no idea what it costs

I don't think that is what Hunt was asking... I think what he was getting to is you should use Windows Explorer to copy the VOB files to a folder on your hard drive, and then use the PrEl routine to import from that hard drive folder

If I am write in my interpretation of what Hunt meant (I am sure he will correct me, if I am wrong) this is to eliminate any "mis-communication" between PrEl and your DVD drive hardware

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to cyrax037

Windows does not import video, that is left to Premiere Elements

Windows Explorer aka File Manager is what you use to copy files from one place to another... such as from a DVD to your hard drive

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for all things Microsoft

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to cyrax037

>extract the files from a non data DVD

As long as you are not working with a copy protected, commercial DVD, the VOB files are just that... files that may be copied and imported

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

You are correct. I probably was not clear in my question.

If the miniDVD's were produced correctly, and all discs were finalized, first doing a Copy of those miniDVD discs to the HDD, would be my first step.

While one can Import directly from DVD's, there are a couple of possible issues:

• The process will be much slower, than Importing from Copies on the HDD, especially an internal HDD.
    • One will not have to have the particular miniDVD's inserted into the multi-drive (not possible with most computers and only one multi-drive.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points