Skip navigation
j.rappr11
Currently Being Moderated

Please help me make Encore button layers in Photoshop

May 14, 2013 9:42 PM

Tags: #photoshop #color #buttons #layers #encore #menus #subpictures

I modified a library menu from Encore in CS4 but my button layers are off kilter so that the selected and activate layers just look like jumbled text.  I made my buttons from text of the material they link too, so the layer two and three text looks offset and murky. I'd like to have the actual text change color for the select and activate layer. I envision a color scheme from the US flag. Normal state is red, selected blue and activate white. I can't figure out how to do this. One thought I had was that perhaps the text needs to be changed to a smart object and then it can be set up. But the color palette in Encore is confusing to me. Anyone able to provide me an instruction list to do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to j.rappr11

Ask in the Encore forum and more generally do your homework on the possibilities and limitations of the DVD (Video) specs. The short version is that subpictures for button highlights can only have one color and one level of transparency per state and that therefore you can't work with antialiasing or fancy stuff liek semi-transparent glows and drop shadows or whatever and if your typeface is unsuitable, it will end up being a clump of pixels. Well, anyway, ask in that forum and provide screenshots and all the otehr good stuff...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to j.rappr11

Those glows and drop shadows will have to be outside the button groups to be baked into the background layer. Only use the plain text inside the button groups and give each state a distinct color or use a simple underline. The text as such is okay, but I'd stay away from pure reds. They are evil for video and make video look frizzy, since they whack out the colors for the undrlying YCbCr color transform of the video signal. Also perhaps darken/ tint/ desaturate the background picture/ video a bit to improve readabilty of the text...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to j.rappr11

Sub-picture Highlights are very limited in DVD-Video. They may be only 2-bit, and can have Transparency. Styles, FX, etc. cannot be in the Sub-picture Highlights by definition. However, one CAN create the illusion that there is say "Feather." This article goes into more detail, and explains how to create some "illusions" on the Menu, regarding the limited Sub-picture Highlights:

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4234&p=36800&hilit= punching#p36800

As Mylenium points out, some elements, that "appear" to be part of a Button, might need to be graphics elements, that are NOT in the Button's Layer Set.

If you are still having issues, I would also post a screen-cap with your Layers Palette showing, and at least one of your Button's Layer Set fully twirled open, as there might be an issue with the Layer Sets, which is the necessary structure for a DVD-Video Menu Button.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points