Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,893 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Making Room For Creative Cloud

May 15, 2013 3:16 AM

I’ve just read the thread about moving the 'Scratch paging file to another volume'.   A concern I had after deciding I'd go with a full CC subscription, is that I only had 50Gb left on the 250Gb SSD I use for OS and program files, and as I was definitely not going to uninstall my existing CS6 apps, I needed to free up some space. I'd taken some of the usual steps.  I am currently up to 14Tb on 10 volumes (12 drives - two are raid0), and stuff like data, Desktop, Outlook pst file, and most anything else I could think of, had been redirected to other volumes, but the Windows 7 Page file has been left on the C: drive. 

So I got to work with Windirstat, and found a surprising amount of errant data clogging my C: drive.  About 20Gb of Bridge cache ‘after’ Purging it.  Why would that be?  You can open the image files from within Windirstat, so I could see what project they were from, and most of them had never been used outside of Photoshop.  The bulk of the files were in various folders in appdata\roaming\adobe\bridge_CS6\cache\1024  A quick Google found a good few links to the same folder, but I could not find out what the ‘1024’ folder is for. 

The other drive hogging culprit was iTunes. I found how to make iTunes use a different volume, but after doing this, the bulk of the data was not automatically removed from the C: drive. There was also redundant backup files for my iPod and iPad.  An hours work won me back >50Gb, and had Bridge and iTunes using different volumes going forward, so I now have >100Gb free space on my C: drive and can’t wait for June 17th

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2013 3:30 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Good tools can often turn up surprising amounts of wasted space.  I like a little freeware app called scanner myself.

Something you might consider for the future...  Since everything always wants to use drive C: by default, perhaps you might consider doing what I've done...  Get some more SSDs and build a RAID0 volume (C:) from which to run the system.  This could both ease your storage needs going forward (saving you the time of digging for files to move or delete) and boost your system performance.  There can sometimes be unforeseen secondary problems when you relocate things to other volumes as well.

It's just a thought.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

The great part is that my array is STILL, after over a year of hard daily hard use, performing at top speed, as well as having been perfectly reliable (literally ZERO glitches of any kind).  Best investment I ever made in computing hardware.  And as usual today one can get even better performing drives for less money.

A recent benchmark:

ScreenGrab_05_15_2013_070732.png

Here's a sample of what Scanner shows:

ScreenGrab_05_15_2013_064703.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Hello, Trevor, the 1024 folder is for the 1024 pixels-wide thumbnails in Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

If you have a lot of RAM make sure hibernation is disabled command prompt then "Powercfg /h[ibernate] [on|off]" turning it off will free a RAM size space on your SSD if it was on. The hibernation file will be deleted.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

No, I haven't done any direct comparisons with Harm's setup.  I do know he's an extremely knowledgeable person, but I think he's optimizing his system for video processing, which may have different requirements.

If my current setup weren't working so well I might be tempted to blow some more R&D budget on the newest SSD technology, which (believe it or not) has reduced radically the internal latencies (which were already less than 0.1 millisecond - now they're less than 0.01 millisecond).  This means that small, random I/O operations with the most modern SSDs (e.g., OCZ Vector models, where I have Vertex 3 models) are actually ridiculously faster than even what I have - if you can imagine it.  Guys get small I/O benchmarks that beat mine with just half the number of drives.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points