Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Going from HD to standard definition on Elements 10

May 15, 2013 6:02 AM

Hi,

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 andI have 720 p video that I exported to standard mpeg. ( so I can eventually burn to a regulara dvd as I do not have BlueRay capabilities. )  When viewing this downgraded non-HD file for the first time on Windows Media player, I was horrifed with how pixelated it looked. However, when I played it on a second computer, it did not look nearly as bad as on this compter, it was not getting stretched to fill the full wide screen.  So I think the key is to make sure the eventual dvd gets letterboxed so it does bot try to fill up my entire screen on a hd tv?  Does my logic make sense and if so, is there a wy to insure a letterboxed version after burning?

Thanks for your time!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

MPEGs are interlaced, so they're going to look a bit sketchy on a computer screen, depending on which video player you're using to play them. Also, remember that your standard def video is only going to have about one-fourth the resolution of your original footage.

That said, there's no reason to go through the extra step of outputting an MPEG to create a DVD. You can Share/Disc/DVD directly from your original video.

BTW, the quality of your output in version 10 is affected pretty dramatically by your project settings. Did you select project settings for 720p when you first started your Premiere Elements project? You can see your project settings under the Edit menu. Remember, the closer your project settings match your source footage, the better your results will be.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

Again, I'm not sure why you're outputting a movie to create you DVD from. Are you working with a third-party DVD authoring program?

In Premiere Elements, you can just go right from your edited timeline to your DVD output. No need to output an intermediate video file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

If you have a DVD burner, that is the option you use (AVCHD is HiDef, not Standard Definition, so will not play on a DVD player)

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to adobenewbie123

1280x720 is widescreen video, so choose the widescreen option.

Also, note that your finished DVD will be interlaced -- as it should be, since you'll be playing it on TV. So it may not look really good on your computer. But it should look just great on your TV!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points