Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scaling, Cropping, and Zooming Help Needed

May 15, 2013 5:22 AM

Hey folks -

I play a lot of Battlefield 3 on my PC, and every so often I'd love to record some of the game play to share with others.  I have the ability to record the game play (I'm still trying to figure out how to also record the sound!) but there's a challenge: I play the game spanned across 3 1920x1200 LCD panels.  Essentially, the game's final resolution is 5760x1200, which gives me a relatively nice panoramic view of what's going on.

Problem: I need to crop that down to the middle screen's 1920x1200, and then crop/zoom it again to 1920x1080 for upload to YouTube.  But I'm not quite sure how to do that.  If the recording software was smart enough, it would let me choose which part of the final screen to record, but that'd require a lot of extra processing power while in-game.  So it just blindly records every pixel it sees to disk.

While experimenting last night, I tried two things:

• Import the big AVI file, create a sequence from it, and then add a crop.  With said crop, I trimmed the left by 33.3% and the right by the same amount.  As I expected, I was left with a perfect image in the center of the massive image, but with a large black box on either side of it.  I wasn't sure what to do with it from there.
  • Create a new sequence of 1920x1080 resolution and drop the untouched AVI into it.  This is closer to what I want, but I still have some zooming/cropping issues.  Specifically, the black bars on either side of the image indicate that I'm still off.

Here's what the second attempt looks like:

There's a step or two more that I need to do here, and I'm just not sure what it is.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

jas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Hi Jas,

I would just go for the 1920x1080p preset, with appropriate frame rate for your clip. If "Scale to Frame" is OFF in Prefs, then the video should be centered in the Program view, with no further cropping needed. For instance, if I put an HD video clip into an SD sequence, I don't see the whole HD image - I will see just the center of the larger clip, representing just 720x480 pixels from the center of the larger 1920x1080 image.

So if you place your 5760x1200 clip into a 1920x1080 sequence, you ought to see just the center portion, with a little of the top and bottom being cropped off since it is taller than the frame. You could use Motion > Scale to bring that down a bit so nothing is cut off (except the sides of course).

Besides the Preferences setting, which affects clips at the time of import, you can right-click your clip on the timeline, and select or deselect "Scale to Frame" there on a clip-by-clip basis also.

Hope this works out for you

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Actually, Scale wiill expand or shrink the X and Y equally, so no distortion happens. Unless you unlink the scaling and change X and Y independently. I would simply scale down a bit to see all of the top and bottom, and that would also give you a bit more image on the sides as well then (a wider view).

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points