Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

text blends expanded = some text>outlines

May 15, 2013 11:01 AM

Is this a bug or a feature?

I am doing a web wireframe, have "menu item" strung across then ready to edit per each, finding uncooperative as a blend but when I expand, all but the first and last instance of type goes to outlines!

Is this just the way illustrator handles it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Which version of Illustrator are you using ?

Provide a sample .ai file, if possible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Why a blend and not dsitrubuting actual object?

And yes, blending text, that's what you get. AI isn't smart enough to blend typefaces to make a hybrid typeface.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Perhaps I wasnt' clear in my first post.

In order for Illustrator to blend between two text objects, Illustrator must use the outlines of the text. Therefore when you expand the blend, all you get are outlines. The start and end objects aren't altered during a blend, so they remain live text.

If outlines were not used when blending text objects, Illustrator would have to read the text character on each end then determine an "intermediate" character to use for the blend. Imagine blending a T and an A... what's the middle character look like? How would that be live type??? You're expecting Illustrator to create type characters on the fly. It can't.

What you are asking of blends is simply impossible with text objects. You can not blend text objects and expand to get live text. It's impossible.

In this case, using a blend is not the appropriate method. You should either duplicate objects and distribute them, or use Effect > Distort & Transform to produce dynamic copies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points