Skip navigation
americanprinting1
Currently Being Moderated

How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?

May 15, 2013 11:15 AM

I'm making auction bid numbers which are three to a page, and my document is 100 pages long.  I need sequential numbers from 001 to 300.  How do I do that?!  The only sequential number entry in the Index talks about page numbering, which won't work for me because I need three numbers per page.  I tried to make a new variable data entry, but I can only ever get it to say 001.  I'm new to InDesign, but I really don't want to make 300 text boxes and then go in one-by-one and change the numbers.  There must be some way to do this...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to americanprinting1

Search Google for terms like "InDesign numbered tickets" without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

americanprinting1 wrote:

I'm making auction bid numbers which are three to a page, and my document is 100 pages long.  I need sequential numbers from 001 to 300.  How do I do that?!  The only sequential number entry in the Index talks about page numbering, which won't work for me because I need three numbers per page.  I tried to make a new variable data entry, but I can only ever get it to say 001.  I'm new to InDesign, but I really don't want to make 300 text boxes and then go in one-by-one and change the numbers.  There must be some way to do this...

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

Peter G.'s suggestion will probably locate any number of posts about this on this forum -- I know I've given some fairly extensive answers here myself.

Basically, you have two choices, place a text file that is the number list, or use Data Merge, which will also require the number list. For data merge you can use one number per record and do a multiple records per page merge, which requires a template with only one instance of your placeholder on the page, or do three numbers per record and merge one record per page into a three-up template.

Frankly, putting three linked frames on the master and placing the number list, using a paragraph style set to start in next frame, is probably easier in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to americanprinting1

Are you using a multiple records data merge? We've seen some similar reports, and I think it's probably a bug, but check the margin settings in the merge options, and don't preview before merging.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points