Skip navigation
pixel_a_ted
Currently Being Moderated

PS bombs during action

May 15, 2013 1:17 PM

I am running CS5 on a Windows 7 computer. I have an action that usually works but occasionally causes PS to bomb - a message window appears that says PS has had to close.

I recently did all the available updates. I also upped the Memory Usage preference to the maximum of the Ideal Range shown. I've tried running the action and not doing anything else on the computer (Outlook is running but I am not using it), but it still will occasionally bomb. Sometimes it runs flawlessly even while I am using an internet browser or other things. So no rhyme or reason about when it works and when it doesn't.

Also, the action consists of the same steps done over and over with small shifts (Filter/Offset) in the image in-between, so it's not like any particular code is causing problems.

Can someone suggest steps I might take to either figure out what is happening or prevent it from happening? Is there a log created somewhere that might provide some useful information?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to pixel_a_ted

You might get something from the Windows Application Event Log that would identify the module that's failing.

It might also be helpful if you'd list the steps in the action, or post a copy of it (assuming that's acceptable).  There are a few long-standing bugs that could be responsible - for example making a new grayscale document from the clipboard in an action was known to corrupt things up through Photoshop CS5. That's been fixed more recently.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,997 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 15, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to pixel_a_ted

Check you Windows 7 reliability log and look the the Photoshop failure see what the faulting module is.  If you do not know how. Type rel into the start button search you should see View reliability history up top. Start it. Look for a day with a red x if you see its Photoshop double click Photoshop to see what failed.

rel.jpgerr.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points