• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC entries: is there a limit to how many links you can have to the same htm in TOC?

New Here ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOC entries: is there a limit to how many links you can have to the same htm in TOC? I have an HTM that requires multiple links in the TOC. Now I can't compile a CHM. I have eliminated all other possible problems...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

To my knowledge a TOC can have as many links as you want to any given topic. There is no limit I'm aware of. However, synchronizing the TOC would be troublesome.

Perhaps it will help if you answer the following questions:

Was the project compiling fine at one point and suddenly stopped? Or has it ever compiled correctly?

Are you seeing any errors or warnings as you compile? If not, you may need to reveal the Error List or Output View pods. (View > Pods > Output View) or (View > Pods > Error List).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it compiled correctly before. After I put the multiple links in TOC it stopped compiling every time when it hit that HTM in the compile process. Now I just ripped out all those TOC links again, except for one, and it compiles beautifully! I've worked often with two TOC links to the same HTM without any drama. But this is the first time that i needed about 30 TOC links to the same HTM--and it's clearly unhappy. I'm glad I can now compile again, but i have no way around the TOC problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, that would be a new one on me, but I see new things all the time and try to always keep an open mind.

Okay, so one way past this might be to do the following.

Create a snippet. Copy the content of the desired page and paste into the snippet.

Create 30 different versions of the same topic by simply placing the Snippet into each topic. Then insert the different topics into the TOC.

You should still be able to modify the content of the topic in the single place (the snippet) and by having discrete points from the TOC, there should be no issue and synchronization should work beautifully.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp