Skip navigation
TonyWG123
Currently Being Moderated

My .ai logo loses its color when I "create shapes from vector layer". Why?

May 15, 2013 2:58 PM

I'm creating a logo for a company, and the want me to make their logo 3d and animate it for videos I'll be putting together later. But I'm having trouble. The logo was already created in Adobe Illustrator. I drop it into After Effects and the color still stays, but when I right click on the logo and select, "create shapes from vector layer", it all turns grey.

Is this normal? it also seems like I can't even recplicate the color and shading of the logo with the Ray-Trace 3D renderer. When I go to change the color, it only changes if I'm using the "classic 3d" renderer.

Any insight into this will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to TonyWG123

I'm guessing that the color in the Illustrator document wasn't a solid color but was a gradient. Gradients aren't preserved in the conversion to shape layers.

Show us a screenshot of exactly where you're trying to modify the colors of the extruded shape layers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to TonyWG123

If the Illustrator document has the components in indivdual layers (not groups: real layers), you can import the document into AE as a comp and animate each layer in 3D space.

If there is just ONE layer, well, you can fix that in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to TonyWG123

I can only think of one:  make that logo far larger than it is now to preserve the resolution and turn it into a bitmap.  I hope someone wiser in the ways of Illustrator has a better idea.

Can you flatten the groups in a given layer in Illustrator so AE doesn't see the gradients, but just a layer?  Aah, that's probably just a Photoshop thing.....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points