Skip navigation
anotherheadx
Currently Being Moderated

Creating Murals Using InDesign CS6

May 15, 2013 1:59 PM

Tags: #sizes #spreads #page #murals

We often use InDesign for creating seamless multi-panel murals, i.e. a 6 panel flow wall where each panel could be considered a 'tile' (like tiles in a RIP), suppose 40" x 96" each done at 25% scale. 

The problem arises when using a spread where either pages are different sizes or when resizing all pages, viz: either an undesirable gap or overlap is created between panels. 

We prefer using InDesign for this because there may fifty=plus logos or other images placed thereupon, and using Illustrator would become tedious.

What solutions are there?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

As i understand, if your panels at the same height you can create a new document with 6 page with the  size scaled to 25%, then on page panel: unckeck AllowDocumet Pages to Shuffle. Drag the pages to be side to side, and that make the total width of you mural

pages.jpg

When you export to pdf, on general tab check on all pages & spreads

spread.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

having done a goodly number of booth banners and other large format design over the years, I am not understanding the issue with using illustrator or any other vector graphic application.

i don't need to understand your preference, of course. but they are, to me, more conducive of your described workflow.

mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

anotherheadx wrote:

O.K. now consider that we've submitted this mural, but a change coems back that we have to change the overall size (larger or smaller).  The problem we have is that now when we alter the page width, there are gaps or overlaps between each page, and our .pdf output is no longer seamless.

Right, that's the problem with the way you're doing it. It would be better if you set up the working file as one big page, (at 25%), then tile it upon output to PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

you can drag and drop multiple images/art from explorer, bridge or finder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

How do we set those tile when exporting to .pdf?

Sorry, I misphrased that. I meant to say tile upon output...printed output. Your service provider should be able to do that from one continuous PDF. However, if you still need to furnish panel-separate PDF's, you could do it the way you have been...but waiting until after the full design is final. Having designed and saved in a single-page file, go back to your multi-page file, (or set up a new, right-sized one), and place the single-page version across the spread.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to anotherheadx

From rereading the thread, "seemless" and "spacing" seem to be at odds with each other. But yes, you can alter the sizes of the artboards and move them around if desired, insert or remove artboards.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points