Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't view smart collections on a different computer

May 15, 2013 2:23 PM

I've generated about a dozen smart collections from photos on an external drive. This was done on my laptop.

When I try to view the smart collections with the drive mounted to my desktop, I get the error message "collection target folder cannot be found". Sometimes it will say to purge the cache, which I've done several times, but to no avail. I realize the smart collection data is on the laptop's hard drive. Is there a way to put it on the same drive as the photos?

When I go back to the laptop, everything's fine again. Is there a way to view the collections on both computers?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to brutewolf

Is there a way to view the collections on both computers?

I'm not sure but I think this is possible. Bridge is very user specific and a collection and a smart collection is nothing but a bunch of aliases. While the files are on the same disk the other end is different.

You might copy the collection file itself (on a Mac: user library / application support / Adobe/ Bridge CSxx / collections to the other system in the same location but besides I still don't know if this would work it is also a bit of a PITA to keep searching and copying those files.

My workflow would be to create new folders on the external disk and select the collection in the content window. Then use select all and copy (or move, whatever workflow suites you) the files to those new location. Those new folders could be selected in both machines. Not ideal but for the moment I can't think of anything better

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points