Skip navigation
moniuch
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with file recovery routine

May 15, 2013 4:57 PM

Tags: #disaster_recovery #damaged_files #illegal_operand

Hi,

So my time has come and I have just been bitten by the Illegal Operand failure upon opening a document. The doc was created in AiCS3 but I'm trying to follow the recovery procedure in AiCS6, described here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/enable-content-recovery-mode-ill ustrator.html

The problem is that at step 3 when I'm holding down the three keys, and hitting Open, Windows 7 is triggering the country suffix behavior and appends the country code to the selected file name, in my case - .pl. This makes my file selection invalid (myfile.ai.pl). I guess this comes from a web browser (I have almost all of them installed). Has anyone been through this? How can I disable this behavior?

For the curious ones:

What lead the file to corruption was the spiral tool. WHen I drew the shape, all of a sudden the entire pasteboard (usually filled with dense, tiny checkerboard pattern) got filled with the stroke or fill color. I saved the file and that was it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to moniuch

moniuch,

What happens if you rename the file and simply remove the .pl?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to moniuch

moniuch,

Pondering.

Is this only affecting one file, or more/all files? If the latter, we may be looking at corrupt preferences or something, see this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5325308?tstart=0#5325308

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to moniuch

moniuch,

The Recovery Toolbox may very well be your best option. As far as I can see, the basic licence is $27 covering one year, and subsequent years will be $12. Depending on the conditions, you may be able to spend the first $27 on recovering this file (which may very well be worth it), and then renew the licence if/whenever you need it in the years to come.

I presume the Adobe support would also vcome at a price.

I shall certainly remember this option, and I have Bookmarked it. I will mention it in another recent thread with a hopeless case.

Thank you very much for sharing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to moniuch

moniuch,

I am afraid I am as much, or more, in the dark as are you in such matters.

I hope someone else can give an answer.

Someone?

It is big: as far as I know, that option has never been mentioned here in this forum (in this millennium at least), where so many have struggled. And as you can see from this thread (where) I mentioned (it just now), we may be talking about weeks of work lost.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1210902?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to moniuch

The trouble is that files might get damaged beyond repair. The repair routine in Illustrator CS6 does a pretty good jobs on specific kinds of wrecked files, but may completely fail on others. There is no guarantee that any magical function, third party tool or routine of tasks will be able to repair your file. It would be awesome, but it still doesn't exist after all these years.

Because of this, it is still important to maintain a workflow that always keeps different versions of files and fallback copies.

Also: the most common cause of ruined files still is working directly (that is: saving to or opening from) on removable or networked media.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to moniuch

Thank you again for sharing, moniuch. It may prove very valuable for many.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points