Skip navigation
Rogerpeba
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD (1080i) to DVD

May 15, 2013 4:21 PM

Tags: #settings #premiere #encore #encode #dvd #cs6 #transcoding #building #bluray

Hi friends!

I´ve record with Sony cameras a wedding.The file format was AVCHD 1080i.

I need to deliver to the client a Bluray and a DVD with the same content.

Using the Premiere and Encore Cs6 the Bluray has a very good quality.

I have edit in Premiere using AVCHD and then I am sending it through Dynamic Link to Encore ( I am using the same procedure for Bluray and DVD).

The problem is when I ask Encore to transcode and generate a DVD disc, the quality is below the worst VHS tape.

I have tryed to use diferents export settings, but I am not so sure about the right configuration to reach the higest quality.

Apart from CS6 is there anything better to improve the DVD quality?

Is it possible to use Dual Layers DVD in order to improve the quality?

Thank you very much,

Rog.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to Rogerpeba

I recommend skipping Dynamic Link and exporting directly out of PP.

Use H.264 Blu-ray for BD and MPEG2-DVD for DVD, two exports, one for each.  And then author two separate projects, one for each.

This will produce the best results with the least issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I recommend skipping Dynamic Link and exporting directly out of PP.

Use H.264 Blu-ray for BD and MPEG2-DVD for DVD, two exports, one for each.  And then author two separate projects, one for each.

This will produce the best results with the least issues.

And also consider scaling to SD before encoding to MPEG-2.

Always, always use Maximum Depth & Render options when you need to scale - it takes longer, but looks much better.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Rogerpeba

When you export from a PPro AVCHD timeline to MPEG2-DVD you are changing the resolution to SD

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

When you export from a PPro AVCHD timeline to MPEG2-DVD you are changing the resolution to SD

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help

Yes, but there is more to it than this.

When you render from AVCHD 1080i to MPEG-2 DVD, you are not only changing the resolution from a sort of HD (to my way of thinking, nothing that is interlaced should ever be described as "High Definition" as there is far more to it than the pixel count) you are also going down to an extremely lossy form of SD.

Personally, I would always split the 2 tasks & scale to SD first (interim 10-bit) and then encode that to MPEG-2. It seems to get better results.

I would first render from PPro as a 10-bit uncompressed quicktime (Aja codec or similar) or a lossless AVI such as Lagarith, and then run that to MPEG-2.

As the source & the final are both interlaced great care must also be taken to maintain the correct field order, or there may be a very nasty artefact issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

I just export using the appropriate MPEG2-DVD option.  Even with 1080i, the results are very good using CS6 with hardware acceleration.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I posted to export to MPEG2-DVD because that is what "most" people seem to do

What I actually do is export to Widescreen DV AVI and then use that file for authoring in Encore

The reason I export to AVI is because I do not care to get into bit budgeting and export settings, and by giving Encore an AVI file I am able to tell Encore to use automatic transcoding to make a "best fit" of video to DVD disc... be that single or dual layer

Again, this is MY way of doing this

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Short of tweaking the bitrates to be absolutely optimal (Encore can be somewhat conservative) this is the best approach, as I have always thought scaling & reducing bitrate all at the same time is one step too few - the interim stage to lossless AVI or MOV is important - at least it is to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

John is using DV (lossy) avi not lossless avi.

I frameserve to TMPGenc for dvd.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Rogerpeba

hello,  i just used Jim Simon's method of mpeg-dvd and preset (with some tweaks)

i just read to turn on max render / max depth for scaling down from hd to dvd

but i thought by turning on one of those messed up the gpu or something

or that it prevented 32bit effects to be processed (i hope i'm not confusing stuff)

anyway, i'm running a test: re export one segment of the baseball dvd with the same mpeg-dvd preset

and turn on max depth / max render

it will be cool if the project can look even better...

shoutouts to 5.03!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points