Skip navigation
bec-white
Currently Being Moderated

How do I export 72ppi jpegs from InDesign without losing quality?

May 15, 2013 8:54 PM

Tags: #photoshop #jpeg #resolution #text #export #indesign #quality #high #bad #losing #low #without #fuzzy #lose

I need to export indesign files that I design to 72ppi for web without losing any quality (or as minimal as possible). Countless times I have tried different methods, but alwasy manage to create a workaround, whether it be good quality, or just readable text. ITs really the small text I have the problem with. I explain in the below video my problem in further detail. But basically, I have tried many things such as pasted from indesign to photoshop, exporting to 300ppi jpeg and resizing in photoshop, exporting to 72ppi jpeg and viewing (not good at all), exporting as PDF, opening in photoshop ticking anti alias and inputting my dimensions... how can I get this to work?? Someone please help.. I have battled this problem for to long and my boss is getting annoyed with it. We need to fix this.

Many people say to export to PDF and then open in photoshop and save as a jpeg from there.. but how can i export a PDF to 72ppi?? Please Adobe fix this issue in future editions of InDesign. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Here is a link to the video if yu can't view it below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqsGnhT3gY&feature=youtu.be

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2013 9:34 PM   in reply to bec-white

bec-white wrote:

Many people say to export to PDF and then open in photoshop and save as a jpeg from there.. but how can i export a PDF to 72ppi??

You have it backwards. You export a PDF, and when you open it in Photoshop, that's when you pick the resolution. Any text in the PDF will likely be vector data, and it will be changed into bitmap data at the resolution you choose. I'll give you an example:

I placed a 300ppi image (5.7MB Photoshop tiff) into an InDesign page with three captions (12pt, 9pt and 6pt). I exported the page as two different PDFs. One was set to High Quality Print (a1) and the other to Smallest File Size (a2). A1 came in at 446KB and a2 came in at 37KB. When opened in Photoshop, I picked 72ppi as the resolution, flattened and saved as an RGB Jpeg without color profile and quality setting of 12.

The a1 jpeg was 180kb in size and a2 was 156kb, so not too far apart, considering the difference in file size between the PDF versions. If you open the jpegs in Photoshop, you will see that the size of the letter F at the beginning of the 12pt caption is nine pixels high in each, so if the problem you are having is that small text isn't readable, maybe the text is just too small to be readable at 72ppi.

a1.jpga2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to bec-white

bec-white wrote:

Would you be able to give me some step by step intructions of the best way to export from indesign to jpeg with the best quality possible?

I'm probably not the guy to be asking, since I don't do anything for the web (print only). Since this is going to the web, I wonder if there is some sort of HTML or XML solution that will keep the type live. Given my lack of experience with this sort of thing, that may be a dumb suggestion, but with any luck, someone who knows this sort of thing will chime in. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 16, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to bec-white

In the video your InDesign (CS6) and Photoshop views are both at 100% but the two programs use different scales for zooming. In Photoshop 100% is a 1:1 monitor to pixel ratio so you are seeing the image as it would appear on the web at a 100% scale.

In InDesign CS6 100% is the screen view relative to print at 100% and is not the PS 1:1 ratio. If you work at 100% in ID the view is magnified so your 12pt type gets reduced to 8.5 pt when you export to 72ppi. To get the same 1:1 view as Photoshop you need to double-click the Zoom tool.

Also it looks like your ruler units might be set to millimeters? When you are designing for web output you should set the measurement units to pixels and set the page dimension to match the expected pixel dimensions of the banner ad at 100%.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 16, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to bec-white

Here's the problem illustrated. My ID document is set to 600x400 pixels and exported to 72ppi jpeg. If I leave both ID and PS views at 100% you can see the PS view is reduced and the type is less legible at the smaller point sizes. If I double-click the Zoom tool the views match.

Screen shot 2013-05-16 at 3.52.21 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-05-16 at 3.51.48 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to bec-white

One thing you may wish to do is forget about 72ppi, which is completely irrelevant for onscreen use. Think in actual pixels; if you created a graphic that you need to use for a webpage header at 800 pixels x 200 pixels, that's the dimensions you should be targeting for your export.

When designing for the web, everything you do is measured in pixels, not pixels per inch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 17, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to bpylant

If you set up your ID page as 800x600 pixels and want to export it at the same dimensions to Photoshop then you do have to use 72ppi on export.

Prior to CS6 the 100% ID view displayed the page at a 1:1 pixel ratio as PS or a browser does, but that's no longer the case. If your monitor res is higher than 72ppi, which is almost always the case, the 100% ID view magnifies the page relative to a browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Where can I set my monitor's resolution in Indesign? Acrobat has the setting in Preferences, but I don't see it in Indesign. If there is no user-definable setting, where does CC get the information?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

You might want to look at this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999905?start=0&tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Tricky! And effective. Thanks, Peter.

Hopefully the proliferation of ultra-high-res displays will bring the ability to set output scale intent to Indesign--so that, for instance, I can choose "Retina iPad" from the list and have it display the same size as (but double the resolution of) a document set up for a non-Retina iPad. Until then, seeing actual pixels makes much more sense to me--thanks for the pointer to that clever script workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to 00rhodiad

I don't do that kind of work, but I thought that was already available, and the reason that the display ratios had changed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points