Skip navigation
jkdtay
Currently Being Moderated

Bulk update of text fields

May 16, 2013 4:39 AM

Tags: #batch_move_text #bulk_update

Hi, I am trying to batch move text from caption to sublocation. Any suggestions on how I do this ? Is this a SQL database and can I update the back end table somehow ? Thanks for any advice,

jkdtay

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to jkdtay

John Beardsworth's Search and Replace Plugin is a good place to start. http://lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/search-and-replace/

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to jkdtay

This is one way:

Use FileRenamer.

You'll need to edit the "Field Loader" preset, which by default copies title field to caption (consider duplicating preset before editing it).

Anyway, just remember to only do part one (i.e. "Start") of the file renaming options, and don't do part two (the "Finish").

Ignore the text in the various prompts that talk about renaming files, since, well, you'll not be renaming any files... - it works, albeit kinda goofily...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hi there. Excuse my butting in, but I'm looking for a way to batch update the "title" field in the exif data with the contents of the File Name field. (ie, copy File Name into Title without altering File Name.)FileRena

Will FileRenamer do this? I can see that Search and Replace will do so, but it's a little pricey for me at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Trevor Coultart

Hi Trevor,

Both plugins mentioned in this thread will do it, however you (and/or other interested parties) will probably find John Beardsworth's "Search and Replace" plugin more straight-forward to use for this purpose.

PS - I sent you an email with more info about it.

In a nutshell: Start with 'Field Loader' preset, edit it to specify desired source and target fields, then do 'Rename Files - Start'.

Please contact me outside the forum for additional help - thanks.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Thanks Rob, have replied to your email.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Trevor Coultart

|
    Mark as: