Skip navigation
ScottHerman
Currently Being Moderated

Sharpening questions.

May 16, 2013 6:07 AM

If I apply Sharpening to the DNG in the Develop phase, do I still need to apply it in the Export (to JPEG) settings? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to ScottHerman

No, you don't have to apply it when you export. You can add extra sharpening if you want to.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to ScottHerman

Read this, it's the basis for how LR sharpens and will answer your question (it depends):

http://www.creativepro.com/article/out-gamut-almost-everything-you-wan ted-know-about-sharpening-photoshop-were-afraid-ask

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to ScottHerman

The "experts" say that a digital image has to be sharpened at least twice.

First we have to sharpen to countervail against the inherent unsharpness / softness of a digital image caused by the sensor and the anti-aliasing filter in the camera (This is also true for film based images when they are scanned). This is sometimes called "Source Sharpening", and in Lr this is done in the Develop Module.

Secondly, we have to do an "Output Sharpening" which should be specific to the chosen output, i.e. Screen or Print. In Lr this is done in the Export Dialog or in the Print Module.

For best results these two sharpening processes should not be combined into one because each process requires specific settings. It is also important not to do too much Source Sharpening or the Output Sharpening can have bad results. Also, Source Sharpening requires a sensible Noise Reduction before applying the sharpening, or else the noise is also sharpened and thus made more visible.

Bruce Fraser who wrote a book on Image Sharpening even recommends three distinct sharpening processes - although this can only be done in Photoshop -: Source Sharpening - Sharpening for image content - Output Sharpening.

Lr makes Output Sharpening relatively easy - we only have to select the output (Screen or Print / Glossy or Matte) and the amount (Low - Standard - High). Generally Lr does a very good job of Output Sharpening.

For the details see the link posted by Andrew Rodney.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver wrote:

Bruce Fraser who wrote a book on Image Sharpening even recommends three distinct sharpening processes - although this can only be done in Photoshop -: Source Sharpening - Sharpening for image content - Output Sharpening.

Actually, Bruce wrote that image source and edge frequency were used to do capture sharpening, then a second round of creative sharpening-usually locally based. The final stage was output sharpening once the final image size and output method was determined.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Thank you Jeff for catching that.

My memory is failing me. It's a while since I read the book.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver wrote:

It's a while since I read the book.

Well, it's been a while since I updated the 2nd edition, but that stuff is second nature to me now :~)

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Well, it's been a while since I updated the 2nd edition, but that stuff is second nature to me now :~)

I didn't know that. I have the 1st edition © 2007.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to ScottHerman

ScottHerman wrote:

If I apply Sharpening to the DNG in the Develop phase, do I still need to apply it in the Export (to JPEG) settings? 

Scott, all of the information provided here is excellent, but only one person answered your question directly and that answer is only partially correct:

No, you don't have to apply it when you export. You can add extra sharpening if you want to.

DJ's answer is correct when you are Exporting without resizing the image (i.e. same resolution as the original). If you are reducing or increasing the Export resolution (i.e. Resize to Fit checked) then 'Output Sharpening' must be applied or the image will be noticeably softer. The resizing process uses downsampling or upsampling algorithms that introduce edge softening. This is true even if the image is only to be used for screen viewing and not printing, which typically requires higher sharpening. That is why you are offered three target 'Sharpen For' selections, Screen, Matte Paper, and Glossy Paper.

I try not to assume anything when replying to posts, so if you already understand this I apologize for the redundancy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

If you are reducing or increasing the Export resolution (i.e. Resize to Fit checked) then 'Output Sharpening' must be applied or the image will be noticeably softer.

Perhaps Lightroom should have an option:

"As needed to maintain developed sharpness, based on size difference...".

~R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points