Skip navigation
RESlyder
Currently Being Moderated

Pasted symbol from Illustrator becomes bitmap CS5

May 16, 2013 9:45 AM

I am working with Illustrator and Flash CS5.1 (working in AS2 document). I laid out a timeline in Illustrator and each timeline entry is a symbol with a line, the text for the entry, and a small document icon (also a symbol). I group those 3 items together into a symbol and copy/paste it into Flash. All of my import settings are set to keep vectors and text editable, and yet it comes in as a bitmap image. I do not have import as bitmap checked. When I remove the document icon, it pastes fine. I tried breaking the link to the icon to see if it was a symbol within a symbol issue, and that didn't fix it either. The document icon is just a white box with 5 black rectangles on it, nothing complicated. No filters or effects are applied. Any idea why such a simple symbol would be converting to bitmap? Any work arounds? I need all the entries to be movieclips once they go into Flash for interactivity purposes.

We need to be able to keep the Illustrator version (which will end up being printed) and the Flash version up-to-date with all the client changes, so it would be great if I could edit the entries in AI and just copy/paste everything into flash without having to remake everything into symbols and add instance names every time.

Any ideas are welcome!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to RESlyder

Don't copy/paste into Flash. Save your Illustrator file as an Illustrator file. Open Flash, select Import from the File menu. Select the .ai file. Flash will now give you a window that allows you to select the layers in your .ai file and gives you options for how you want to import the contents of the file. This will keep the .ai file's contents as a vector and give you a link back to the original .ai file in case you need to update anything.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points