Skip navigation
Michael_Stivers
Currently Being Moderated

How to include / import by reference structured (DITA) content in an unstructured document?

May 16, 2013 4:25 PM

Tags: #include #structured #unstructured #framemaker_11 #import_document #import_topic

I've been tasked with finding how to include / import by reference / text-inset / etc.  unstructured (DTIA) content (such as field help descriptions) in a larger unstructured document (such as in a user guide chapter).  Someone I work with said they saw an Adobe representative demonstrate this capability. I know it would make more sense to move everything into structured FrameMaker, but that's not the question I'm being asked... So far I do not see a way to do this, although I do see a way to bring unstructured content into a structured document. 
I would like to find out how to do this (or find out that it is not possible). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Michael_Stivers

Hi Michael,

By definition, DITA content (I'm assuming that was a typo) is structured (i.e. it's XML), so I'm at a loss trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to show the XML tagging with the content? If so, then just import as a text file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to Michael_Stivers

After a bit of experimentation, I managed to import a small DITA file into an unstructured FM file without ending up with a block of pure text. Here's how I managed it, though the results may not be what exactly you're hoping to do …

1. open unstructured .fm in structured FM – let's call it unstructured.fm
    2. open DITA file in structured FM
    3. save DITA file as .fm – let's call it DITA.fm
    4. File > Import file to copy the DITA.fm content into unstructured.fm, keeping its original formatting

A visible mismatch, of course, but at least some clue as to the intended structure of the imported content. Step 2 could be the trickiest, especially if you're relying on someone else's source files.

HTH!

N

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points