Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to copy Actions over to CS6?

May 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Tags: #actions.

I just upgraded from Photoshop CS5.1 to CS6. I used the "copy presets" option during the install of CS6, which worked great for everything except my CS5.1 Actions. Is there a way to easily copy over my user-installed actions from CS5.1 to CS6? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to *Photonic

You need to locate them in CS5.1 (whereever you saved them to) and either copy them into the CS6 actions folder or to a designated folder on your computer.

For Windows it is usually  -

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets

And or

64 bit.. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)/Presets

32 bit... C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets

Or you can load them from any folder on your computer.

Then load them from the actions pallet menu.

Don't know about Mac

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to *Photonic

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to *Photonic

I think Chris Cox has answered this many times.

I believe if you would search the forums and check thru those posted regarding this topic, by Chris Cox if possible, of course, that you will find the answer.

I recall that it is quite simple. I hesitate to tell you as I may say something incorrect.

I would hold off just copying these things instinctively.

vince

Message was edited by: vinsolo

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to *Photonic

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?cat=support&term=importi ng%20old%20actions%20into%20new%20version&loc=en_US&self=0&lr=en_US&pr oduct=photoshop

I believe you can copy all the actions in cs5 folder > presets > actions  to the CS6 folder > presets > actions folder. You will then use the drop down menu in the ACTIONS panel to activate those that you wish to use.

Can't find Chris Cox posts. He is employee and maybe these are not available.

good luck,

vince

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 17, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to *Photonic

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

One question: were the actions saved on your hard drive, or are they just loaded in the action panel?

In 5.1, select ane Action Set.  In the Action panel's flyout menu, select "Save actions..." and save them to the default location (given in the previous help document) (pay attention that on mountain lion, your library directory is invisible if you do not hold ALT)

Do this for all sets.

Now, in CS6, do Edit>Presets>Migrate presets. Is should detect and import them. Restart Photoshop, and your actions should be there. (If not, select load actions, and navigate to the 5.1 folder where you saved them)

Photoshop CC does not require a restart, and can locate more presets...

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 17, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to *Photonic

Merci for the kudos!

I have to say that, given the schedule for me (2AM) and the relatively short amount of time to cover all that can be said on the topic, I'd like to do it record it once again, and edit out my "eems".

Also, there are very good guides written by the Photoshop team, and there are as well many user cases, my idea is rather to point out the audience where they can find information that is relevant to them.

That said, the Photoshop Show is a stunning idea, it's my "performance" that I feel could have been better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points