Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I add PrE to PSE10?

May 16, 2013 9:02 PM

Tags: #upgrade_options

I have had PSE10 for about 9 mths and now want PrE.

I tried to ask the question in the PrE forum but was told I was not authorised to participate in that forum.

Do I need to upgrade to Elements 11 and get PrE that way or can I obtain version 10 of PrE and add somehow?

I have looked at the PrE forum (as a guest I guess) and found the discussion on problems with installing PrE pretty daunting.

Appreciate your help and advice.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to softlyvic

You may be able to find a copy of PRE10 on Amazon or other retail websites. It's no longer being sold by Adobe as version 11 is the current product. So try an on-line search but avoid auction sites like Ebay.

If you need to upgrade its best to get both PSE11 and PRE11 as a combo.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to softlyvic

softlyvic wrote:

I have had PSE10 for about 9 mths and now want PrE.

I tried to ask the question in the PrE forum but was told I was not authorised to participate in that forum.

Do I need to upgrade to Elements 11 and get PrE that way or can I obtain version 10 of PrE and add somehow?

I have looked at the PrE forum (as a guest I guess) and found the discussion on problems with installing PrE pretty daunting.

Appreciate your help and advice.

I participate on Premier Elements forum frequently.  I'm offended that someone said you couldn't participate.  The only excuse I can offer is that someone may have thought this a PE question more than a PrE question.

I typed "Premier Elements 10" into Amazon and found at least one for sale.

I have had PrE 9, 10 and 11.  If you have nearly any newer video capable camera, it will have "AVCHD" as a featured video format.  Adobe beefed up the AVCHD support a lot in version 11.  That was the sole reason I upgraded.

I will respectfully disagree that installation is daunting.  I've been through three version on three computers without a glitch.  In photos you have jpg, tiff and RAW.  In video, you can fill a page with possible formats.  In photo you might take 10 shots in a burst.  A video camera is taking 25 to 60 pictures a second.  Computers have to be strong with up to date drivers and software.  Many of the problems that show up in the PrE forum are a result of mismatched formats and weaker computers.  People will try and "borrow" footage from a Hollywood DVD and want it in their home movie!  Or, they may buy a video capture card on eBay for $5 and worry that Adobe didn't provide the right "codecs".

The vast majority of Premier Elements users get a long fine.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to whsprague

Another thought.....  If you don't use Organizer, it won't matter.  PE and PrE are independent.  You should be able to run PrE 11 on the same computer as PE10. 

If you are not in a hurry, there will be sales.  Last week the PrE/PE combo was $85 on Amazon.  This week it is $109.  Last Christmas I think I saw it for $50.  Version 12 is likely due around the end of September.  It will cause retailers to adjust prices. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to softlyvic

Steve Grisetti has a website and books.  He has a free 8 part PrE11 basic training course here:  http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=premier+elements+11+-+bas ic+trainin&btn.x=18&btn.y=5

He is also the primary trainer in the much more detailed course at Lynda.com.  http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Elements-tutorials/Up-Running-Premiere-E lements-11/109763-2.html

At Lynda.com you pay by the month.  For $25, you get everything they offer, but a weekend or two will be enough to get you through the PrE course.  There are some sample chapters to test if you like the training style.

Taking those courses, especially the Lynda course, will take all of the sting out of the steepness and frustration out of the learning curve because you go though it in a building block approach.  YouTube has a lot of good tutorials, but the randomness can lead to slow learning.

If you do follow my suggestion to lynda.com, check out Jan Kabilli's courses on Photoshop Elements too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points